Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my snow plow yesterday and I'm using my 3500 lb venom winch with synthetic cable to lift the plow. I've heard that over a winter of plowing the cable takes quite a beating. Even in the protective sheath. I was thinking about purchasing a plow strap but I don't like the thought of completely removing the synthetic cable. I was thinking about taking an older tow strap and adding a short piece of it through the eye on the syn cable and spoiling it I to the winch. The winch currently seems pretty full of cable and I'm wondering if it can even handle the additional strap. I'm also wondering how to hook the strap to the existing cable. Would running it through the eye and wrapping 4 or 5 times be enough to hold it? That's assuming it will fit.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
81 Posts
You could probably just run the strap a few revolutions around the cable spool with the cable on it and it would hold. You could probably just use a ratchet strap end for plowing.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
It only takes a minute to remove your winch rope, set it to free wheel and pull it out. The only pain is in the spring when you re-attached it and have to winch it in, but then you can make sure it is tight again. But definitely do not use the rope to plow with, Broke mine on the first snowstorm, I have an old winch I pull the cable off of and use, but any strap will do you well!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could probably just run the strap a few revolutions around the cable spool with the cable on it and it would hold. You could probably just use a ratchet strap end for plowing.
Thanks. After posting this I read an article online that described how to do it. It recommended 3-4 revolutions and it should hold. Like I said my concern is if there is enough room on the spool. I threw my back out so it might be a couple of days before I can try it out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It only takes a minute to remove your winch rope, set it to free wheel and pull it out. The only pain is in the spring when you re-attached it and have to winch it in, but then you can make sure it is tight again. But definitely do not use the rope to plow with, Broke mine on the first snowstorm, I have an old winch I pull the cable off of and use, but any strap will do you well!
I have two reservations about taking the winch rope completely off. First off, I like the idea of keeping the synthetic cable on the winch in case I need to use it. If I get stuck in a snow drift all I'd have to do is unwind the strap a bit and it will pull right off. Then I'd have access to the winch.

Secondly, winding new cable on the winch when it's mounted is a pain when you have big hands and fists. Obviously the syn cable wont last forever and I'll have to replace it every couple years. But I'd like to minimize the amount of times I take it off and on just because of that.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I have been swapping ends on my syn line for many years now. Every two years I pull t off, ant rotate.

I like the strap idea!! Yes a half doz wraps tightly wrapped all hold just fine!

Good luck with yurt back! Sympathies Brother! I live with that every day!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I just tried this (with a pull tight strap end) and it last 2 minutes, any other suggestions on straps to use? I have the Warn Plow so the spot to loop it through on the plow is designed for a rope or cable... I was able to just put the hook back on the rope and it worked for the first night of plowing, but I know it will break soon and don't want to have to rethread the synthetic rope as it was a pain last time.... Would a nice thick rope work, like a tow rope for water skiiing? Or should I try twisting a strap?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Lol, yes I used the hook, it broke where it loops through the plow, it is a rubber fitting it loops through, but the fitting was designed for a rope or cable, not a flat strap.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Lolly, Run to the nearest Fleet Farm or Walmart and get a "Boat Winch Strap" ($10-13).... remove winch cable/synthetic rope, duct tape end of strap to spool and wind it up! Or use a 3/16 nylon rope through the loop end and secure the same as the cable. Either way (duct tape or nylon rope) it only needs to be enough to hold the strap in place to start winding it.... after 4-6 wraps it will hold/bite on itself! :fing02:

I'll hopefully be installing mine tonight.... just need to find an old wire spool (at work) to put my steel cable on for the winter!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Think I can twist that to go through the rope sized slot?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Think I can twist that to go through the rope sized slot?
You don't need to run it through the little hole in the spool. Just duct tape the end to the spool and start winding it in. Once it gets a few wraps around itself, it will not come off.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Lol, I m talking on the plow itself, I know to just tape it to my existing rope.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Lol, I m talking on the plow itself, I know to just tape it to my existing rope.
Ahhh, oops!

:add_wegbrech: :add_wegbrech: :add_wegbrech: :add_wegbrech: :add_wegbrech:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
You can, mine just broke the second time plowing last year, so a strap should last longer. .

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Use the hook end, to attach it to the plow...... ?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Buy a 20' x 2" tow strap with metal hooks on both ends from Harbor Freight and cut in half. Now you have two fer! Remove the rope and use duct tape to tape the strap to the spool and wind it on. Costs $11 for two plow straps rated at like 20k pounds and it works amazing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts