Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got into some serious plowing today with the 60" eagle and felt like I could not be stopped until..........my strap broke. It actually broke twice.

Prior to the snow season I removed the synthetic rope from my winch and took a 1.5" wide ratchet strap and installed it in order to lift my plow. I had seen this done by others online. Seemed to work well a few weeks back when we got our first significant snowfall. This time it failed twice. I could try another heavier duty ratchet strap but I know there are specialized straps for this application. For those of you that use a specialized plow strap have you ever broken one? And which ones can you recommend?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I use and I recommend getting a boat winch strap, the kind used to pull a boat onto a trailer. You can find them in the marine section at Walmart for about $12. Mine is rated about 2000 pounds and already has the hook on it. Lays nice and flat. I've pushed lots of snow with it this year, no issues at all.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use and I recommend getting a boat winch strap, the kind used to pull a boat onto a trailer. You can find them in the marine section at Walmart for about $12. Mine is rated to 20,000 pounds and already has the hook on it. Lays nice and flat. I've pushed lots of snow with it this year, no issues at all.
Cool, did not think of that. Makes a lot of sense. Those are generally a wider and rated for a lot of pounds. Thanks.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Oops, I fixed my rating. Not quite that much rating. Anyway, here's a link:

Shoreline Marine 20' Winch Strap: Fishing & Marine : Walmart.com

I will note that Motoalliance also makes a plow strap that looks very nice. But it's a lot more money.

I considered a ratchet strap, but guessed they wouldn't last as long nor spool in as flat.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Did you ever run a cable in your hawse fairlead? That can make them have a sharp edge. I don't like roller fairleads at all--stick with the hawse. Look for a sharp edge on it and replace it or smooth it out.

One thing to remember is the plow will put a lot of angle on the strap and the boat strap gets that a lot in its normal use. Not sure how to word this, but I think a ratcheting strap has more strands to pull apart versus the flatter wider strap. My .02.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I never used the Hawse with metal. When I bought winch it came with both metal and synthetic rope in addition to the Hawse and a roller fairlead. I wentb straight to the Hawse with syn rope.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Are you breaking them because your not letting off the winch before it's all the way up? If so, it would be better that the strap breaks than possible damage to the plow or winch. I broke my wife's cable on her winch because I didn't let off in time. I bought a plow rope and am going to use that but don't want something with to high of load rating so I don't screw up the plow.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you breaking them because your not letting off the winch before it's all the way up? If so, it would be better that the strap breaks than possible damage to the plow or winch. I broke my wife's cable on her winch because I didn't let off in time. I bought a plow rope and am going to use that but don't want something with to high of load rating so I don't screw up the plow.
That's not why I'm breaking them. I never raise the plow up until it stops. Never.

Honestly I think it has most to do with trying to lift the plow while it was still buried in the snow. Lately I've backed out of the snow pile a few inches before lifting the plow.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I hope it works well for you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Had my synthetic rope snap while plowing on Saturday afternoon at my cabin. Luckily I was on last clean-up pass when it let loose. Glad I was almost at the trailer when it snapped, just a little effort to load and reconnect for the trip home.

Picked up a 20' boat winch strap and installed it yesterday afternoon, very easy. Had some question at first when I attached it to the plow, didn't seem to lift but all it needed to do was tighten around the drum. Worked like a charm afterwards to widening the driveway from blowing and drifting snow.

Had noticed a couple of nicks on the howse fairlead so filed them down, that probably is what caused the rope to break. Will keep the old rope in the storage box in case I need it for something in the future.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Yep... it's tough to keep enough tension on them during the initial winding to get them tight on the drum. First lift they'll slip some before they snug right up.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Lawdag I put the marine winch strap on mine with the roller fairlead. Great idea it works perfect. I cut the 20' strap in half, the opposite end without the hook has the sewn in loop on it and I picked up a hook with a cottered pin on the back side of it to use the other half for a spare. I run a hawse fairlead and amsteel blue for everything else.
The marine strap is definitely the way to go for the plow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts