Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im gonna fab a weight bar to go across the top of my blade, I did a test plow with a 60lb sand bag tonight, seems really good, anyone have weights on their blade, How much do you use? BTW 2010 400HO 60" cycle country and 1500lb polaris winch.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a problem with my Glacier 2 plow digging in so hard it stops the bike. I would t want any more weight.
I have to use the winch cable to hold up on the plow just a bit in order to plow without bring the bike to a compete halt. I won't even plow with the polaris anymore. I have warn plow on my Grizzly 700 and it works mint. It's old and worn and wobbly but never ever fails. It's a center mount, the glacier is a front mount plow. I have very little faith in front mount plows. Had one on my Teryx and it dug in bad as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Was some discussion about this last week.... my thought was to take a solid piece of bar stock (1" or 1-1/4" SQ X Width of blade) and drill holes in it to match the pattern of the top of the plow blade. Paint it to match the plow blade. Then at install, sandwhich a rubber flap (old strip of bed or tail gate protector mat) between the weight bar and blade and tighten it down with bolts and nylock nuts. Depending on ability and shop capabilities.... I personally would use socket head bolts and counter bore the holes on the weight bar to recess the heads, so nothing could catch/snag on them. Not to mention how clean and professional it would look.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
adding wieght to top of blade may off set it..when it trips the added top weight may hinder the return to normal posiotion...if any think ..if you need wieght try to get it closer to the ground...

madkawi ..adjust the blade attack angle and it should not dig in...you have bottom to far set back it seems....

most who think they need weight have blade set wrong....blade bottom to far forward makes it ride up on snow..to far back makes it dig into pavement..catcching every little imperfection...and sudden stops....

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I have a problem with my Glacier 2 plow digging in so hard it stops the bike. I would t want any more weight.
I have to use the winch cable to hold up on the plow just a bit in order to plow without bring the bike to a compete halt. I won't even plow with the polaris anymore. I have warn plow on my Grizzly 700 and it works mint. It's old and worn and wobbly but never ever fails. It's a center mount, the glacier is a front mount plow. I have very little faith in front mount plows. Had one on my Teryx and it dug in bad as well.
It's not the plow system, but rather the blade pitch (forward/backward) angle. Adjust the pitch angle of the blade with the 4 position blocks.... these are the little rectangular blocks on the back side of the blade near the lower pivot point, that the blade rests on from tipping further back towards the machine..... this should fix your "diggin in" problem!!

EDIT:

adding wieght to top of blade may off set it..when it trips the added top weight may hinder the return to normal posiotion...if any think ..if you need wieght try to get it closer to the ground...

madkawi ..adjust the blade attack angle and it should not dig in...you have bottom to far set back it seems....

most who think they need weight have blade set wrong....blade bottom to far forward makes it ride up on snow..to far back makes it dig into pavement..catcching every little imperfection...and sudden stops....
:D You beat me to it..... posted while I was typing and looking for a visual example! But very true, we both said essentially the same thing.

And really..... the only thing weight does is aid in "back dragging".

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have blocks adjusted so the blade is as tipped back as possible. I just think the blade angle changes so much with front end height with suspension movement. It's hard to control that on a front mount. I might have to grind the blocks to let it sit back farther.

Thanks for the tips..

Sorry to the OP for kinda hijacking your thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine would simply be for the hump that I eventually get at the end end of my drive way, I added the sand bag yesterday and scraped that sucker in 2 passes, I'm also gonna try that solid stock bar across the top, otherwise it plows wonderful

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I think the bar stock would be a good setup, for added weight to the plow if desired or needed.

Here is the visual aid..... couldn't find one, so I made one!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Ah, I can see where the added weight helps now..... The "packed down" white stuff at the end of the driveway from the municiple plow!! I personally have a crushed asphalt drive way and gravel alley way, so I'd rather not "dig down". :D

My idea would look something like this, but WITHOUT the tabs..... just holes. As without the tabs and bolted direct, it would make the blade more rigid also.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm gonna copy this design

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here the drive, plus a big open area at the end not seen in pic

·
Registered
36 Posts
I need the extra weight for back blading snow away from garage doors and my fence gate.
I will also copy that weight bar.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts