Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Sportsman 500 H.O. with a dealer installed Polaris 2500 lb winch and Moose plow.

It's my first season plowing versus snow blowing and I'm basically learning as I go.

The machine stalled out a few times today when I was lifting the plow. It was about 45 minutes into the snow moving session. It started up just fine but I started paying attention to the speedometer display. I noticed the battery light would appear and it would flash from time to time.

My house is in a residential area on a corner lot. So I have a 3-car wide driveway and two long sidewalks. It's safe to say the plow is going up and down a lot in a short period of time.

So... any suggestions on what the problem might be? Bad battery already? Need a heavy duty battery?

Thanks...Scott

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've got the same problem with my 2013 sportsman 500. I wouldn't really call it a problem since its to be expected with that much winching. Only thing I can recommend is to get yourself a battery tender and plug it in when your done plowing. It would be the best way to save your battery from being weak. I've also noticed that planning your winch operation while in motion will definitely help. I installed a volt meter to monitor the voltage while plowing and noticed that while the atv is still in motion with the RPMs up I can use the winch all I want and dont experience any voltage drop. So while accelerating I bring my blade up or down and havent experienced any low voltage while plowing.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
It's hard to believe the electrical output of the stator can't keep up with the winch during plowing...So how would you make a 40 foot pull on the trail? Figure your winch is only under significant load on the up pull and at most a foot so if you make 40 lifts on your plow that would be equivalent to a single long pull on the trail. IMHO the stator should put out more than enough power to run the winch all day and never drain the battery. The 850 puts out 475W at idle peak 575W 32 amp voltage regulator., wish I had the specs on the 500 but should be similar and raising and lowering my plow a 100 times has no effect on the battery, lights, or anything else so I'm guessing an electrical issue or Polaris did a sh!t job on the stator or voltage regulator on the 500. I have done a full pull on the battery alone and it starts right up afterwards. Something doesn't sound right to me. Please note I never do a full pull without a break to let the winch cool a few times but power is never an issue. Hope you get it figured out!

·
Registered
978 Posts
i was having the same problem today. was idling for about 10 min after plowing and my light came on then i gave it gas and it went away. i never had the problem of it stalling on me though.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mine does the same thing and I killed the battery. I've only ridden it a few times in the last 3 months and that was all plowing. My battery light will also come on if I winch solid for more than 10sec. Must be crappy stators on the 500's.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
It's hard to believe the electrical output of the stator can't keep up with the winch during plowing...So how would you make a 40 foot pull on the trail? Figure your winch is only under significant load on the up pull and at most a foot so if you make 40 lifts on your plow that would be equivalent to a single long pull on the trail. IMHO the stator should put out more than enough power to run the winch all day and never drain the battery. The 850 puts out 475W at idle peak 575W 32 amp voltage regulator., wish I had the specs on the 500 but should be similar and raising and lowering my plow a 100 times has no effect on the battery, lights, or anything else so I'm guessing an electrical issue or Polaris did a sh!t job on the stator or voltage regulator on the 500. I have done a full pull on the battery alone and it starts right up afterwards. Something doesn't sound right to me. Please note I never do a full pull without a break to let the winch cool a few times but power is never an issue. Hope you get it figured out!
It is not actually the same. When you start the winch you are using way more power than a continuous pull. Combine that with the fact that a lot of plowing is very slow and at low RPM's and it leads to a situation where the battery is being depleted. Try taking your battery of line and running your winch without it. It does not work for very long at all. The winch needs the reserve amperage that is in the battery. Toss in that a lot of people are running lights and warmers and well its a no go eventually.

That being said, I have experienced the same thing with a few Can Ams and a Grizzly. They are really designed to keep battery charged to start the machine.

·
Registered
862 Posts
The stator on the 500 is only 2xx watts. One thing i have found that helps is to back up a few inches before lifting the blade that way you remove the pressure against the blade and lowering the current draw. Also like others have said a battery tender will keep the battery topped off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm having the same issues with my 500 HO. I have plowed with an 07 500 in the past with no issues like this.

If the 800 stator puts out 400 amps and the 500 is only putting out 200 amps is it possible to put an 800 stator in a 500?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
No ATV Stator put out 400 Amp,that's Watt's.
If you have a output of 500 Watt this means 40Amps,with a full load pull most ATV Winches neads 160Amps.
So 120Amps have to come from this little Battery.
For plowing i connect a car Battery to the system and i am fine.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
No issues on my 2013 500

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
222 Posts
We ride trails in the winter and wear heated gear. If we run them on high with the hand and thumb warmers we see the battery light flashing every time we are at idle. Last weekend we had to get the one jump started to get home. Will an Interstate AGM battery help? They claim 4 times the capacity.

·
Registered
526 Posts
We ride trails in the winter and wear heated gear. If we run them on high with the hand and thumb warmers we see the battery light flashing every time we are at idle. Last weekend we had to get the one jump started to get home. Will an Interstate AGM battery help? They claim 4 times the capacity.
Keep in mind if a lead acid battery (FLA or AGM) has 4x capacity more than another one it will weigh 4x as much. :)

Sounds like some of you may some being buying new alternators due to overloading abuse.

Do like cariboo stated. If you go out and buy a battery to mount on the front or rear rack go ahead and consider getting a deep cycle like a trolling motor battery.

The same goes for us that use ATV class machines to run spray rigs and the like. Just idle you ATV idle and force the cooling fan to run and listen to the drop in RPM from just that one electrical load. If the typical ATV battery has to help the alternator make up the difference you can expect to be buying a lot of new batteries along the way.

Stock lighting and cooling fan and starter usage is about all most alternators are designed to handle day in and day out. Now if you are keeping your RPM like 6000 when plowing the battery might be OK IF the rider did not die when hit something.

Mount the battery over the axle that needs the added traction perhaps would be the best location. As others have noted most any vehicle that operates in the cold weather will be happier if on a little charger that insures it is fully charged over night.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When you connect car battery are you not connecting small battery? Just using car battery for plowing? Then using standard for riding??

·
Registered
526 Posts
It is correct. The winch (could be other non OEM loads as well) just connects to the larger car/deep cycle battery that you will put on a small charger when you get back to home base.

This way you are not harming the alternator and ATV battery system when using the snow plow or DC heaters. Using the winch for 5 minutes getting out of a mud hole is one thing but plowing snow, etc for 30 minutes or longer with continued winch use is another thing. Yes one can do it for a while with the OEM set up but over time there may be negative side effects.

Think of trolling motor usage when fishing. It is best to use a trolling motor battery than the engine starting battery in a nice fishing rig. A dead battery is not good if the rope starter is too hard to pull for a person as is in my case.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I picked up a good charger/ maintainer Friday and got it set-up Friday. It was fully charged Sat morning. I haven't put it back on the charger since. I plowed Sat morning, Sat evening, Sunday and when I went out to start it this morning before work it fired right up like it should. It was only 0F out this morning and any other time I tried to start less than 15F it wouldn't turn over.
Now that I now I charged it to a good full charge I am going to see how long the battery lasts before I need to charge it again. Hoping that the battery never received a good full charge and it will be much improved now but we shall see. Supposed to be real cold and windy this week here so I will have a chance to test it out this week.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
i wonder why so many problems with battery when plowing..my driveway is close to 1/4 mile long...I just plow the first 300 feet...sometimes i plow out to the back area also..just a path...but I plow both straight an sideways with many plow lifts. and never had issues with low battery....I plow a bit ..go in for a coffee an come put an starts right up...I use a maintainer when done plowing ..when I hook it up after plowing it reads yellow (charging)..with in an hour goes green (done)...maybe the older models have a better charging system...dont know...

·
Registered
526 Posts
al53 your success is because you correctly use a maintainer on your battery.

If Bear9350 uses his new one as stated he will over time kill his battery. In fact he would have been better of to have purchased like a 6 amp battery charger because it would give some boost function when his battery is dead.

A battery that gets fully recharged within 24 hours of each use should last many years. The battery that gets parked with a 70% or less State Of Charge (SOC) will damage some each day.

If a maintainer is not plugged up over night after plowing it is not functioning as a maintainer.

Not sure where the newer ones have a cheaper or better OEM charging system but as far as I know they are designed to cover starting and lights usage and the fan when required.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
once a battery sits with less than 75% charge in cold..it begins to sulphate bridging the plates..only battery you can saftly go low with is a deep cycle...I have 3 on my boat...i have a onboard charger/maintainer...but I dont always get it plugged in when i get home...I get in the morning..but they always charge 100%....they are built a bit different...

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I just plowed for 2 hours with about 100 lifts and not a drop in battery power. Never have had a tender or had to jump the ATV. Starts even at 15 below after plowing for two hours the day before. I think it sucks you buy an ATV and have to deal with crap like this, sorry guys...I would be b!tching up a storm to my dealer if I had this issue. Sound like many do and many don't so it sounds like a defect to me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts