Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some place I read about putting a pipe on the bottom of the wear bar for plowing gravel driveways. I wonder if this would work better than the shoes. anyone ever done this? can you tell me how it works compared to shoes?

what did you use to make the pipe and how?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
i would like to see that also..I think the blade will ride up on the snow due to the radius of the pipe..plus leave a good amount of snow on the road...since the bar acts as a scraper. But not ever seeing or using one..i am curious to see results

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point

Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have read that on a truck plowing forum however if was for plowing grassy areas before the frost has set in. I have very minimal plowing on a wheeler but many hours running a truck or skid steer and think you would be best off just running shoes, thats what they are meant for. I would agree that I also think the pipe would ride up on top of the snow.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I would say maybe attaching a pipe to where the shoes are might work, but not over the wear bar. you need the cutting edge to get under the snow. But the pipe where the shoes are would give you a nice even force on the ground as apposed to two shoes that could potentially grab the snow and gravel they are meant to ride over.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
now that would be interesting. Just putting a 4-6 inch piece of pipe where the shoes might be. Give maybe a 1 1/2 gap. Seems like it might work.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I was more referring to having the pipe across the whole blade. would act as a compactor to want was left behind.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Even with shoes on if the ground isn't frozen a truck plow will push stones. All plows have the same problem.
Look at the plow from the side. The edge hits the stones and then the p[low shoe. The plow shoe then rides on the already plowed away material.
Just because someone makes it doesn't mean they make it right!!

You need to have the plow shoes almost touching the back of the cutting edge for them to work.
I do a 1/4 mile stone road/drive. I have thought about actually attaching skids to the back of the edge. making them about a foot wide also. I think it would work. You could use the same mounting as the shoes and then stretch a piece of steel up to the back of the cutting edge. Maybe attach to the cutting edge through an existing hole.

Plow shoes are just like wiper blades. They were both designed 100 years ago and they didn't work well then. And they do not work well now either.

Maybe when my 4 wheeler no longer runs and I am bored i will get around to doing this.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
please take some pics. I'm interested in this

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
X2 - I'd like to see this also.... :idea:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts