Polaris ATV Forum banner

Plowing in reverse

13K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  Toothdoc 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

This is my first year plowing. I have a Warn Provantage mid mount plow. I am plowing black top driveways. I have to pull up to the garage door and then drop the plow and pull the snow away before I can reverse in and push it down the driveway. It would be nice if I can reverse right into the garage and just push it but that is not possible.

The problem I'm finding is that the plow is not heavy enough and when there is enough snow it rides up on the snow leaving lots of it behind.

Does anyone have any tips for me? Anything I can do to add weight to the plow?

Thank you,

#2 ·
My new poly blade rides up too when backing with blade down. Might look into some barbell weights or somethng.

#3 ·
push it to the side of the driveway instead of trying to pull it down the drive way.

#4 ·
I hand shovel the bit by the garage then push it down or out to the side.

#5 ·
The driveways are only two cars wide. If I push it sideways I will block a walk way to the side of the house on one side and the other I will block the stairs to their front porch. They are cookie cutter houses so they are all the same. I will try to take a picture after work.

#6 ·
I went back and cleaned up with the hand shovel. I was hoping to avoid that. LOL. Thanks for the tips so far guys.

#7 ·
Yep, sometimes you can't get that area by the garage door without pulling it back. I don't want to shovel any more than I have too. :) I did 7 drives plus knocked out the entrance to two more in my travels back and forth.

#8 ·
I just got a new Polaris Ranger 570 now though. :)

Attachments

#9 ·
I made sure to let all my neighbors know that I will do my best to get rid of the bulk of the snow. However the detail work and clean up is still their responsibility.

I will back drag as much as possible near the doors then it is on them to get off the couch and shovel.

#10 ·
Buy one of those bucket attachments for your plow.

I would just take a big scoop and do 2 runs along the door first then back up. Snow removal isn't meant to be effortless!!! Thats why us canadians are in such good shape!!!! Lol

#11 ·
you could look into a snow blower attachment. lol.

were it me, I'd push it to the side far enough to not block any pathways or stairs. If the path to the stairs and side off the house are paved you shouldn't have any issues. Besides. How many people are walking around their house in the snow? and how many expect said path to be clear?

#12 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. Looks like the shovel is the best option. In my neighbourhood there are many homes that rent their lower half of the home so they use the walkways to access their units. Also we still get our mail delivered to the door so the mailman walks across the lawn. I like to clear a pathway for him.

Thanks again,

#13 ·
#14 ·
I took galvanized 2 in pipe about 50" long,filled it with concrete, and capped both ends. I then bolted it to the top lip of the plow. Added about 75 lbs to the blade which helped alot! I'll take pictures of it tomorrow.

#15 ·
Stand on the blade and then reach around and work the throttle. Just kidding!!! Some work has to be done by hand with a shovel. I agree with the earlier posts. I always back drag a bit but then it's up to the homeowner to do the finishing touches. Even trucks can have issues back dragging unless they have a high dollar system with downforce hydraulics.

#16 ·
Probably hand shovel would be the best bet. I push all my snow to the end of the driveway then push it all to the side

#17 ·
A little bit of elbow grease and detail work goes a long way in regards to referrals, more account, more money, it doesn't take that long to shovel a two wide drive to wear you can push the rest. When I plow my drive, I shovel a little bit to my it look nice, I would do the same for my customers. Just my thought on things.

#19 ·
Another thought to achive a little "down force" for "back blading", would be to buy or fabricate a bracket and hood/hatch strut to the plow and atv. Cycle County makes a model for thier plow systems. I would think that it could be easily adapted to most any plow system with minimal fabrication work.....

Link: Cycle Country Down Force Kit | MotoSport

Video Link:

#20 ·
Another thought to achive a little "down force" for "back blading", would be to buy or fabricate a bracket and hood/hatch strut to the plow and atv. Cycle County makes a model for thier plow systems. I would think that it could be easily adapted to most any plow system with minimal fabrication work.....

Link: Cycle Country Down Force Kit | MotoSport

Video Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvtIYuGR5AI
Just use a lift strut from any large SUV with the lift up gate in the back. My Chevy Trail Blazer comes to mind. Should be able to pick one up at the junk... I mean auto recycle yard for pretty cheap.

#24 ·
#26 ·
I bet you'd be surprised at how well they'd hold up, and if they don't your out less than $100 which in the grand skeem of things really isn't that much. but so long as you're not trying to hit to many curbs and such, I doubt you'd have much trouble with them. Think about it. those plastic clips hold a minimum of 100 lbs. of force regularly.

#28 ·
Weld a seat on the plow and use the mother-in-law. Mine would take it right down to the pavement.

#31 ·
better hope she doesn't spy on you there Kemb. LMAO! I couldn't use my MIL. Couldn't stand the smell of her cigarettes, Damn Chimney.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.