Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Is it better for the machine to plow in low or high? 2013 500
If the snow is heavy plow in low under 10 MPH

If the snow is light plow in high at a safe speed.

80% of what I do is in low about 8 MPH

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
It depends....sometimes I'm in low and others I'm in high blasting the fluffy stuff off into the ditch. Wet and heavy and/or deep....Low. Light fluffy and not so heavy, high. With more use you'll get the feel for it.
Around my house and driveway I use low a lot. But plowing the road down to the paved street I'm in high. It's about 1/4 mile to the pavement.
By the way.....Howdy neighbor! :wave: I'm just over the hill from you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I use low all the time. I got 2013 500 Sportsman HO with a Warn ProVantage 60", and it moves a lot of snow. I got 300ft of gravel laneway and I'm in no hurry:)

·
Registered
378 Posts
I would relax and plow in LOW... Makes things easier on the machine, the plow and you. :veryhappy:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I stay in LOW, mostly to keep RPMs up so Battery stays charged.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I plow in low, much better when steering around things. I drop the plow, go for a blast, then park it and tender it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Most tenders are relatively cheap too. The Polaris dealer I purchased my XP from sells them for $35CDN. Great investment. Especially when the ATV sits for extended periods.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I do keep a tender on it, but when I plow in the dark with the lights on my battery light will come on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ditto on low. This is my first winter with this quad and I quickly learned to use low. Its easier on the machine.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I stay in LOW, mostly to keep RPMs up so Battery stays charged.
Makes more sense to buy a battery tender to keep the battery full than to drive around with high revs.
Plowing at night, with all the lights on, winching, winching, winching.....If I'm in high less than half hour of plowing my pod will start flashing at me. In low I can push snow for hours. When I'm done it goes on the tender.
I have only plowed in high when i first got my wheeler and I don;t think it's wise. Too much strain on the belt.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I would never plow in High,you need higher Rpms to cool your Belt.
My Driveway is 3.5 km and i know what snow plowing means.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts