Polaris ATV Forum banner

Plowing Gravel

• I plow gravel with no issues

Votes: 15 93.8%
  • I plow gravel and it is not good,

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I plow gravel and it tore up my quad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I plow a large driveway and it is too much on the quad.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading a different thread I am questioning if I should put a plow on my 500. I have been plowing my driveway for 15 years with a Bronco. It is only 200 feet long and 2 cars wide. I am trying to free up some space and sell the Bronco. I read on one thread where a rider tore his plow mounts off.
A buddy of mine has been plowing his cement drive to 10 years with no issues but mine is all Gravel. How many of you plow cement and would you recommend your plow (brand).

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
My Driveway is 3 km long and 100% Gravel (Canada get Snow).:)
I have a Pipe under the Cutting Edge and no Problem at all.

·
Registered
286 Posts
That was a specific brand of plow and seems to be an isolated incident. I use the Glacier, and the way the skids of the glacier are installed, the skids would give way before the mounts. I broke one skid before, but I always keep an extra on hand. I prefer to plow with an atv vs vehicle. Less damage to the drive way. Only down side is if you get really deep snow. I try not to plow more than six inches at a time.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I do about 300 ft of gravel no problem. I make sure laneway is/was pretty level in fall. Only issue I've had was with recent ice storm. Half to three quarter inch of ice on everything. Learned quick ice is hard to move:) I use a 60" Warn Provantage and I'm happy with it so far. Any of the name brand plow systems should serve you well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just got a sportsman 800 to plow my driveway (200-300 feet long) this fall. no problems yet. The only problem is very hard packed drifts. It tends to lose traction. Getting some tire chains to fix it.

I use a county plow.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I plow my whole alley and the front yard and a few others driveways. Never had a problem with cement, gravel, or asphalt. Even leveled some piles of gravel in the summer using it and no problems. I'm about to update but that's because my Quadboss,or cyclecountry now 52" plow is over 13 years old and is about shot. So I'm looking to upgrade to a glacier 60" because I like the way they hook up very easily.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I plow my driveway and then the road that goes down to the paved county road. 12 years and no problems, just usual stuff like skid pads wearing out. Have had to replace the winch rope a couple of times. That's it.
Take your time and go slow around obstacles and you should be fine.

·
Registered
862 Posts
My drive way is 70x30 and the neighbors is 60x20 both gravle and i have no issues. The neighbors has some rough concrete and still havent had any issues.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I plow my large gravel driveway and surrounding area around my shop and house. I have some smaller boulders that I need to remove, they are embedded in the gravel. When I hit them I'm more worried about my XP falling apart then the Eagle plow set up itself. I plow in 2wheel drive, my rockers always find traction. 2 wheel drive allows me to turn on a dime with a hit of the throttle, I rarely use reverse. Also, I love high speed drifting, dropping the plow while going into a turn on my next pass of the driveway.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
My friend made a set of these for his plow, he does all gravel. About 3 inches wide and 6-7 inches long out if 1/4 inch plate. They work much better that the round ones.

mahttp://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15468&stc=1&d=1388941106de

Attachments

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Note: I didn't read the entire thread..... just my opinion thoughts on the original posting.

When plowing gravel (crushed asphalt), I find it a good habit to start with a "good base". By "good base", I mean to pack down the first 1-3" of snowfall with the daily driver. After this has been done I have little to no troubles. If I don't do this the only troubles I have are blading some rocks, asphalt gravel off of the top and into the lawn.

The recent threads you've read about "Warn Plow Problems #1- 3" are the only real accounts on this site we've heard of related to major issues with this plow system, and isn't necessarily affecting the wheel in any way. Use low gear, and your wheeler won't even know it's there, unless pushing heavy-wet snow or 8-10-12+ inches of snow. As on a driveway of that size and large snow falls..... you may be frustrated?!?!

My only thought about switching from a Bronco and a 7-8' plow to a 60" plow...... it will take you 10X longer.... and without a heater!!!

If you do decide to get a plow for your ATV.... given the size and type of plowing you'll be doing, I'd strongly consider a "Eagle" (American Mfg) or KCI brands. Both are built in the USA (Minnesota) and built with heavy gauge steel and well / heavy duty built!

Just my thoughts & Good Luck.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If been plowing my driveway for over 5 years with no problems. Just got the sportsman 3 years ago and that works very well. I like the cycle country mid mount plow. I have the polaris brand front mount on my 08 and I don't really like it. Yes it's easy to attach but after some hard use the mount is bending and the welds are cracking. Anyway you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the advise. Going to think about it a bit. We got hammered with -20 and 3 foot drifts. Not sure my old body could put up with both of those.

·
Registered
772 Posts
My friend made a set of these for his plow, he does all gravel. About 3 inches wide and 6-7 inches long out if 1/4 inch plate. They work much better that the round ones.

mahttp://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15468&stc=1&d=1388941106de
those are great but would only work for straight ahead plowing.

I'm the guy who ripped the shoes off a Warn Plow and I sure hope it was an isolated incident. That being said, I dunno if I would buy the Warn again, even though they promised me a new blade.

I like the idea of welding a pipe on the bottom of the wear bar for gravel. Does that work good for gravel?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts

those are great but would only work for straight ahead plowing.

I'm the guy who ripped the shoes off a Warn Plow and I sure hope it was an isolated incident. That being said, I dunno if I would buy the Warn again, even though they promised me a new blade.

I like the idea of welding a pipe on the bottom of the wear bar for gravel. Does that work good for gravel?
He has no problem using them on his circular gravel drive.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Star rider did your friend make or buy those skid plates, I noticed a tag on the picture
That pic is one I found on line. I did not have a pic of the ones he built and uses. It works just like a ski. I had the chance to try his out and they worked fine with no issues that I could see.

·
Registered
772 Posts
What about when you angle the Plow? Wouldn't the edge dig in?

Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
My brothers truck plow has a pipe on the bottom. Works great for his dirt road/gravel drive. I assume same case for an ATV.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Now I'm wondering if a pipe welded to the bottom might work better than the shoes.

Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 54 Posts