Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm trying to remove the bendix off of my atv, and I've watched all the videos, however, i dont think the setup of the bendix on my atv is the same as all the others... ive tried and tried to get that bendix out and it wont come.. its more of a snug fit than the other ones on the videos.. so, do i have to take off the flywheel to get it out? thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
What machine are you working on? From your descriptionAll the 500 and smaller engines are the same. The bendix should come out after the pull start flywheel cover is removed. The Predator and Outlaws are a different set up. Not sure about some of the newer ones though. My 600 is the same as the others though.

You shouldn't have to remove the flywheel, but it can make it easier if the bendix is stuck in there. Might be worth it to get it out of the way so you can gently pry straight out on the bendix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well its a polaris sportsman 700 twin efi. i took the cover off, but theres no room to wiggle the thing out... also would it break the flywheel to take it off?

·
Registered
9,454 Posts
Why would it break the flywheel to take it off? Use the proper tools and the flywheel can be remove and installed numerous times.

·
Registered
54 Posts
ok, alls well! i took the flywheel off, replaced the bendix, now, when it starts, it makes a weird almost grinding noise that sounds like its coming from that area. is it something i did wrong?

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Is that noise with the flywheel cover on or off? They are designed to work with the cover on to support the outer end of the bendix, so it will make weird noises with the cover off. If your cover is on, then it's hard to say without hearing it. Chances are it is nothing you did. Popping the flywheel off and replacing the bendix shouldn't have changed anything. You can't put the flywheel on wrong since it's keyed. Could be something with the new bendix.

·
11,136 Posts
Did you make sure that the little thrust washer was installed on the new bendix? The carb model only calls for one on the inside. The EFI uses a washer on each end of the Bendix.
Did you check and lubricate the bushings in the case and cover that the Bendix plugs into?

Update: Does that machine have a recoil starter? On second look, the carb models came with either a recoil starter or the newer style cover without one. If it does NOT have a recoil, then it probably needs a thrust washer on both ends of the bendix.

·
Registered
54 Posts
thanks all! i got this problem figured out, now im onto another one:) the brake handle i had on there wasnt working, so i bought a new one, attached it, put brake fluid in, however, its not even doing anything still.. what am i missing?

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Did you bleed the master cylinder? I have hooked a vacuum pump up to the caliper to pull fluid through also.

·
Registered
54 Posts
well but i replaced the whole brake handle + master cylinder as well... here is a photo of what i bought...
with this i shouldnt need to replace anything else, right??

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
also i was trying to find out how to start a new thread but i couldnt find out how to do it...

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
no it just says "Post Reply"
Can't do it in the thread/topic, you will have to be in the section where all the threads are listed.

Your brake master looks ok, should be all you need for the master cylinder.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts