Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a Polaris 250 trail boss, not sure of year, anyways, I’m chasing down a short to ground problem that I believe is my kill switch, with that unplugged I’m getting .420 ish ohms of resistance between hot and ground, until I unplug the little red wire that goes from the battery side of the solenoid to the voltage regulator, then it’s an open circuit. Is this normal? Does the voltage regulator always keep a slight path to ground? Also these test are without a battery in it, and using a continuity tester, it beeps until I unplug the kill switch then it reads .420ish until I unplug the voltage regulator. Then it goes open.

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Your test are pretty much meaningless.

P{lease describe the condition that is the basis of your assuming that you have a short: if you have a short, either it has no spark (short in the kill circuit) or is is blowing a fuse or burning something out (power shorted to ground or a grounded circuit).

Continuity testing a reg/reg there should be continuity from each stator terminal to the red wire in one direction only and the value is not important as long as they are approximately the same - the same test is done to the black or brown wire of the unit and the results should be approximately in value, but opposite in direction - final test is red to ground; continuity in one direction but not in the other and a leakage resistance is OK, but should be in the meg ohm range.

Also helpful is the year and model number. The above procedure is generic for most non-FET rec/reg units.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My battery gets so hot you can hardly touch it, and I continuity tested ground to hot and there is a short... I traced it down to the kill switch, two red wires with black stripes that are going to kill switch comes out on the brown which is a ground and another wire that I forget the color of. That problem is solved, how ever I still get an ohms reading between positive and negative until I unplug the red wire from the voltage regulator then there is no reading just an open circuit as I assume it should be. I’m wondering if it burned the voltage regulator out... I do not believe the auto reset fuse worked correctly thus the battery almost burning the garage down.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To simplify my question. Is there suppose to be any resistance between positive and negative caused by the voltage regulator?

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
My battery gets so hot you can hardly touch it, and I continuity tested ground to hot and there is a short... I traced it down to the kill switch, two red wires with black stripes that are going to kill switch comes out on the brown which is a ground and another wire that I forget the color of. That problem is solved, how ever I still get an ohms reading between positive and negative until I unplug the red wire from the voltage regulator then there is no reading just an open circuit as I assume it should be. I’m wondering if it burned the voltage regulator out... I do not believe the auto reset fuse worked correctly thus the battery almost burning the garage down.
You have a serious problem other than a short that need to be investigated by an experienced mechanic!

The brown wire is ground - the red/blk wire is switched positive (the key switch connects the red battery wire to the red/blk wire when the key switch is on) - the circuit breaker protects the wires in case of a short circuit, it will trip out and reset when it cools off.

You are testing continuity when you should be checking voltage.

The battery is not getting hot due to a current draw - it's getting hot from overcharging.

To simplify my question. Is there suppose to be any resistance between positive and negative caused by the voltage regulator?
The voltage regulator cannot be tested with an ohm meter! You test the voltage regulator by putting a volt meter across the battery, start the engine and rev to about 3000 rpm - the voltage should rise to 14.8 volts and no more - if the voltage is above 14.8 (either AC or DC) the rec/reg unit has failed and needs to be replaced. At the same time, the stator needs to be tested - you first test the continuity of stator leads between each other to ground - they should hace a low resistance between themselves and infinite to ground - any continuity to ground and the stator needs to be replaced - the stator, rec/reg and battery may all need to be replaced to rectify the problem you are experiencing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it’s not an over charging issue, you put the battery in, don’t even start the machine and it starts getting hot, I determined it has a short to ground, in the kill switch causing that. How it was even found out that there was a problem was my starter locked up “unrelated problem” went to start it and it clicked never turned, that starter saved the garage from being burnt down because the guy went to check if the battery terminals were loose and realized the battery was hot so hot he had a hard time taking out the screws, same with a different battery. The stupid automatic breaker thing obviously isn’t working, or was continuously resetting, that’s getting cut out and a fuse will be put in place. But I still have little resistance between positive and negative meaning there is still some sort of path between the two... If I unplug the red from the voltage regulator it goes away. I’m just wondering if that’s normal I’m not trying to test the voltage regulator, I just want to know if a small amount of resistance between positive and negative is normal.

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
There is infinite resistance between red and ground in one direction and near zero resistance in the opposite direction

My mistake - there is no fuse or circuit breaker on the 88 Trail Boss 250, but the 96 was wired differently and the 97 differently again - the 98 different yet -

In none is there a connection between red/blk and brown

Hard to help when you don't know what you are working on - use the diagrams below and correct the wiring

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ll see if I can get you a model number, I really don’t know the year, where is the modal number located on those machines?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts