Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a polaris 2500 winch on a 2012 sportsman 500 ho. All last winter and this winter up until now the winch has worked fine for bringing the plow up/down. I am not sure what happened but now the winch will only go out (down). Whenever I press the in (up) it will click once and either move very slow or not at all and then all the lights will dim even to the point where the digital display shutsoff. Contractor maybe? If it worked fine until this point (almost 2 years) I didn't think it would be a short?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Plowing takes a big toll on the battery. Keep a battery tender on the battery so it stays charged.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
X2 Plowing is hard on batteries. In very cold weather like we have been having it's even worse. If you don't use a tender I'd go get one. Plowing drains the battery and if you park it before it can recharge itself, it's starting out low the next go around.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Your solenoid block is either packed with mud or ice causing the power to go to ground from the battery instead of to the connector for the up function. Disconnect battery and clean all terminals and anything packed around them on the solenoid. This just happened with
my winch and my solenoid block had a rubber boot on it and it was packed with mud causing power to go to ground. Cleaned all the terminals and the click stopped and the winch in function returned. It could be a bad solenoid but doubtful if you hear click, prob just need terminal block cleaned. You want to disconnect the battery so you don't short across the battery feed terminals by mistake if cleaning with something metal. It would also be best to remove each terminal and clean with a wire brush and spray the terminals with an anti corrosive for battery terminal. They sell that at the parts store. Should fix you up in no time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
DLO40--had the same issue with mine last year --took it back to the dealer (warranty) and it was a bad winch--replaced with new one and so far no issues with the 3 storms here in ny.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
DLO40--had the same issue with mine last year --took it back to the dealer (warranty) and it was a bad winch--replaced with new one and so far no issues with the 3 storms here in ny.
Typically if the motor is bad it won't run in either direction. All the rocker switch and solenoid pack does is reverse the polarity to the motor so it turns in the opposite direction. If he hears a click noise power is getting to the solenoid just not making it to the motor. Could also be a loose wire on the motor or solenoid or the solenoid is bad or dirty. Rocker switch is working if the solenoid is clicking. If cleaning the terminals doesn't work on the solenoid or motor then just run 12V directly to the two connectors on the motor, it should run in both directions by just switching out the positive and negative feed from the battery. If that works then your solenoid is bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cleaned all contacts....it would click, start moving for a little bit, then quit and just click if I pressed it again (this was all under no load). I did discover something though. When I switch the cables on the winch the issue followed the cable. So when I was pressing IN before it would click and die. When I pressed OUT it was fine. When I switched the cables when I pressed OUT it would click, run, and die. When I Pressed IN it would work fine. I think it's the solenoid that is bad? I'm going to replace that and hopefully it works. If not I guess it would be the winch?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
It's a wire or solenoid. You have ruled out the winch.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I have a polaris 2500 winch on a 2012 sportsman 500 ho. All last winter and this winter up until now the winch has worked fine for bringing the plow up/down. I am not sure what happened but now the winch will only go out (down). Whenever I press the in (up) it will click once and either move very slow or not at all and then all the lights will dim even to the point where the digital display shutsoff. Contractor maybe? If it worked fine until this point (almost 2 years) I didn't think it would be a short?
If the winch has a wireless remote control, they put a small amount of drain on the battery even when not in use. The remote control keeps looking for a signal even when the winch isn't being used, thus after a few days it will drain small atv batteries to the point that the machine wont start. I've read about this happening and also had a friend who it happened to

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have an 2013 850 HO LE with plow, fog lamps and brush guards. I was plowing with my quad this passed weekend. And, my quad just shut down in mid-plow. I called the dealership. They said that if your plowing in Low and are not in high RPM. Your battery doesn't get a chance to charge. So, the quad will shut down to conserve your battery. Buy a trickle charger for keeping the battery at its peak. Cause the cold will take a lot out of the battery as well. The winch is a battery juice hog.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I would agree with kemblkr about it being a bad solenoid or bad wire. Like he said if you swamped the wires around and now you are having the same problem but in reverse I would think it is your solenoid or one of the wires is grounding out. Make sure the wires running to your winch aren't missing the insulation and touching the frame or motor ect.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts