Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day all, I was looking for some advice. I have researched and understand how to do the 3 light mod so that all 3 lights will come on when I choose High Beam. What I am wondering is it better to use a diode OR relay? What are your thoughts on either and why? Thanks a bunch. :nerd

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Diodes are cheap, rugged and reliable. They are very easy to add to the wiring harness and with good quality heat shrink tubing, totally waterproof. Relays are mechanical devices prone to failure in environments typically seen by ATV's. Bottom line is both will work. The choice is your's really.

Mark

Reactions: Heavy_GD

·
Registered
328 Posts
I used the relay, the diode will get hot. Plus I used the socket for the relay, that way if it ever does fail I can just replace it without messing with wiring....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Diodes are cheap, rugged and reliable. They are very easy to add to the wiring harness and with good quality heat shrink tubing, totally waterproof. Relays are mechanical devices prone to failure in environments typically seen by ATV's. Bottom line is both will work. The choice is your's really.

Mark
Thanks Mark, appreciate the insight. Exactly what I am looking for.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used the relay, the diode will get hot. Plus I used the socket for the relay, that way if it ever does fail I can just replace it without messing with wiring....
Thanks Phil. I am leaning towards the relay with socket. What did you use to power the relay (accessory block, 12 volt accessory, direct to battery etc)?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Mark
Hey Mark, forgot to ask if you know anything about diodes getting hot? I have heard this but assume they don't get hot enough to cause problems.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Done deal. Went with relay with socket. Used battery block as power source. Very easy mod with great benefits.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Done deal. Went with relay. Used battery block as power source. Very easy mod with great benefits.
Glad to hear the mod was successful. You'll love it.

For future reference, diodes do generate a bit of heat but in an application like this, properly sized diodes wouldn't be an issue. FWIW, the factory "3-light mod" uses diodes in my 2012 850xp.

Mark

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Done deal. Went with relay. Used battery block as power source. Very easy mod with great benefits.
Glad to hear the mod was successful. You'll love it.

For future reference, diodes do generate a bit of heat but in an application like this, properly sized diodes wouldn't be an issue. FWIW, the factory "3-light mod" uses diodes in my 2012 850xp.

Mark
Thanks Mark. Wish I would have known they came from the factory with diodes. That would have convinced me. I'm no expert on wiring so when I heard they heat up I decided to go relay. Again that's for all the input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts