Polaris ATV Forum banner

Polaris 325 Magnum

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  stave7119 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 325 magnum that accelerates fine, does not struggle under load or hills but looses power when at full throttle. I have the exact same atv that when the two are side by side they will stay together for awhile and then the one just seems like it has a speed limiter on it or something while the other has a lot more until top speed?

I do not think this is a belt problem as it does not seem to slip at low speed or heavy load. The problem only happens when trying to get to top speed. Would this be a carb problem possibly? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

#3 ·
Welcome to the Board! Your problem could be carb related, but also electrical. these Magnums have a speed limiter on them that could be acting up. sounds like the Carb could be too rich. Any backfire or other symptoms, or does it just seem to stop accelerating? You can try lowering the main jet needle one notch (raise the e-clip one notch) and see if it makes a difference. Maybe a new main jet and needle are in order. Depending on build date, the stock main is a #145 after 3/1/99 and a 142.5 before that

If you haven't already done so, maybe go through the carb and make sure all the passages and jets are open.

#5 ·
Thanks for the help. I've seen the speed limiter on the parts breakdown how do you test them besides try a new one? There is no back fire it just seems to stop accelerating. The carb has been cleaned and has a new carb kit in it. I will check your recomended settings. Also, how do you change rhe buttons in the secondary clutches?

Thanks alot!

#6 ·
I am in the process of taking a Sportsman 500 secondary clutch apart to do just that. You have to have a way to compress the clutch assembly to get a couple bag ass snap rings off. The light weight sissy ass snap ring pliers I have won't cut it. Gotta talk to the snap on dealer on Friday. I would suggest you purchase a repair manual for the machine. about 20 bucks for a paper copy, less for electronic, but worth the price. The procedure for the clutches are too complicated to put in here. Check the how too threads in this forum and maybe someone has already posted a video or instructions.

#7 ·
Sorry, cut the last post short, wife needed something done. I have not found a Haynes or Clymer manual specifically for the 325 Magnum. The POLARIS ATV manual covers years from 98 to 2007 and is generally good for specifics on the 325 machines. Both the primary and secondary clutches on all the Polaris atvs are the same basic design, so the instructions will be good.

Maybe a dealership would have a way to test the rev limiter, but I am not aware of a process for it right now.

If you have gone through the carb I don't know if changing the main jet needle will do you much good. It would tell you if you are on the right track before you tear into the clutch though. If the carb needle change shows you an improvement, then maybe there is another issue that needs to be addressed. Or a previous owner changed it for some reason.

Clutch inspections are on my list for all my machines over the winter this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.