Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out plowing yesterday when my winch started killing the engine, I had been plowing for an hour or so, I figured the battery was low. I parked it and put the battery tender on it. Started it today, plowed for 5 minutes and the winch stopped working and would draw enough power when you pressed in or out to stall the engine. The winch motor made a loud whining noise too. I took the motor off, looks to be completely destroyed inside. I don't know much about electric motors, but I believe this to be a permanent magnet motor. It's $119 for just the motor through polaris, guess ill start winch shopping. Looks like one of the magnets on the inside broke loose and wadded everything up.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
How old is that winch?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
That's nasty looking.....I wonder if it's a Warn made winch or the Chinese model?
If it's the Warn check with a Warn dealer. Warn used to make the Polaris winches but then I heard they changed to a cheaper overseas brand.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought it with the machine new in June 2011

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I have had this in the past with starters. If I had to guess you got a bit of moisture in the winch and it froze the armature to the magnets. You hit the winch and the mechanical force peeled the magnets off the case. The magnets are spot welded to the outside of the case. I have in the past re-glued them with special Loctite 480 but I would not do it with a winch. It is not really a manufacturing flaw but in my mind a design flaw. For the record before anyone does the Polaris cheaped out thing my Warn is built the same way.

You can get starters and probably winches that have the magnets mounted on the outside case and they are sealed in epoxy with an inner sleeve so that the magnets can not freeze to the armature but I don't know who makes them.

For $109 I would go buy the motor from Polaris or find one online somewhere. Cheaper than a new winch and having taken my Polaris ones and Warn ones apart they are virtually identical except for the freespool button and in my consideration quite substantial.

·
Registered
450 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't really plan on buying the motor from polaris. I'm eyeing the super winch Terra 3500 with synthetic rope. I have my brother looking into getting a motor, but he isn't having much luck. He said he could fix the one I have if the magnets were intact, but they aren't lol

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking to get some thoughts here, getting a motor for my current winch is out of the question, so I am shopping for a new winch. Should I really spend the extra $$ to get a 3500 lb winch? My main uses are plowing, but it does get used 9-10 times a year to get unstuck, most of which get rigged double line with a snatch block. I've been doing a lot of research and have decided to get a milemarker ES series winch, just not sure if I need a 3500lb winch, thinking a lower rated 2500 lb winch would be easier on the battery. At the end of the day the difference is only $40. I plan on buying a winch with a steel cable and then putting the synthetic rope from my polaris winch on it.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
A 2500 lb winch is plenty, especially when you are good with a snatch block. I have pulled my extremely loaded XP out of some really bad places with my stock 2500 winch and no snatch block.

By the way, if you are in mud a lot I absolutely hate synthetic. Had a Warn with synthetic and it would always get in a bind on the spool when wet or muddy. Switched back to cable for winching and using a 2" x 10' tow strap with hook for plowing. I typically make new winch cable each year or two for <$20 and I get the abrasion resistance I need for the type of riding I do. Just like everything else you just need to replace it when it starts to wear and I feel much safer hanging on steel than synthetic, just MHO.

If your worried about the horror stories with steel cable breaking just throw a jacket or towel over the cable to absorb the energy. The only time steel cable breaks is if it's in poor condition.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm no expert but doesn't the larger actually draw less current if you not working it at full capacity? For 40 diff I would go bigger and not look back. Never know when you may need that little extra

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like the synthetic rope, I've used it for 2 1/2 years with no problems (The winch went bad before the rope lmao). I like being able to unspool some rope and being able to throw the hook with some accuracy, a little hard to do with steel cable. I ended up going with the Mile Marker 2500 lb winch

http://milemarker.com/pdf_downloads/project_es_catalog_layout_2013.pdf

Got it from autoanything.com for ~$219 shipped.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'm no expert but doesn't the larger actually draw less current if you not working it at full capacity? For 40 diff I would go bigger and not look back. Never know when you may need that little extra

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, larger motors draw less current than smaller ones pulling the same load. The closer you are to the maximum capacity of the winch, the more current it will draw.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts