Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm working on a 2000 xplorer 400 2-stroke and i have coolant leaking out of the weep hole so i know i need to change the mechanical seal, I have a manual and everything but i cant seem to find the mechanical seal part? when i pull up a parts schematic all it say's is: bearing, seal oil, and seal oil..im assuming i just need these 2 seals idk? i cant find anything that says mechanical seal...thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Correct,you will need the two seals and possibly the water pump gasket.
Keep in mind that the seals are both different and need to be installed facing opposed,as one keep the water in and the other keeps water slash /oil out

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a similiar issue, very milky counterbalance fluid and at high rpms white fluid will come out of the breather vent tube on right side of engine. Also have a 2000 xplorer 400. Do you think its the same seals that your going to replace or could it be the head gasket? I replaced the base cylinder gasket cuz thats what I thought it was but nope lol. How hard is it to replace water pump gasket and the two oil seals because the base cylinder gasket was a breeze... thanks

Also just curious what is and where is the weep hole?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it could be the seal or the head gasket not really sure on how you would go about singaling one out, not if you are leaking coolant through the weep hole (located underneath the water pump) then it is most likely the seals fault. From what ive read it isnt that difficult of a job as long as you take your time, the service manual however says you need to remove the engine from the frame...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts