Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, new to the forum and trying to figure out an issue with my kids quad. When the rear brake is engaged it locks the brake but then will not release until you pry the cable attachment. Just looking for some advice on if the entire rear brake needs to be replaced or if there is an adjustment. I messed with the adjustment screw bit once it is engaged the brake is locked and it won’t release with pressure from spring. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
The brake cam is corroded in the backing plate - remove the brake drum and shoes, remove the brake cam, clean the cam shaft where it passes through the backing plate, clean the bore in the backing plate, lube the bore and the cam with waterproof grease and reassemble - check operation before final assembly then finish assembling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good, I will tear it apart this weekend and take a look. How difficult is this to do?

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Not too difficult for an experienced mechanic - only moderately difficult for a mechanically inclined person with a limited number of hand tools - you will need metric tools

Why don't you message me with the VIN and an email address and I will send you a PDF service manual - up to this point I don't know what year model you have and there were changes made to the brake system depending on whether it was made by Dinli or Aeon (two stroke=Dinli - four stroke=Aeon)

·
Registered
2010 Sportsman 90
4 Posts
This is the same issue with my 2010 sportsman 90. Trying to figure out how to remove rear brake drum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts