Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My 2013 Polaris Sportsman 500 has been hard to start all fall and now into the winter - even with what I thought was the choke pulled all the way out. I now see that my choke is only pulling out about 1/4 compared to the bikes at the dealer (was in buying winter helmet and checked out the chokes on a couple of bikes).

I have traced the choke cable to the carb - to gain "more choke" do I loosen the nut that attaches the cable to the carb? I have checked the service manual and it doesn't really some much other than this:

When the choke cable (1) is activated, the starter plunger (5) is lifted off the seat.
Fuel is drawn into the starter circuit from the float chamber (2) through the starter jet (3). Starter jet meters this fuel, which then flows into starter pipe (4) and mixes with the air (7) coming from the float chamber. The mixture, rich in fuel content, reaches starter plunger and mixes again with the air coming through a passage (8) extending from underneath the diaphragm. The rich fuel/air mixture for starting is discharged through starter outlet (6) in the main bore.

There is a photo but it won't copy well.....so I see where is attaches - just not exactly sure how to adjust it so I can pull the choke out farther......

Any info would be great - working on it tomorrow - thought I would check here before getting in to deep....

Thanks

Kevin

·
11,141 Posts
Yep, you loosen the nut and adjust the cable housing out longer so you get more pull. Don't go too far or you'll be running with choke all the time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
got a 2013 500 Ho and the choke knob is harder then hell to pull out, I have not had any problems, but want to remedy this ( I went as far as ordered a new cable, for when I do screw with it I have one on hand). Am I the only one with this problem? Book says if it don't stay in place to tighten the nut, the nut does nothing for me.
thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just a thought, but there is a nut on the base of the choke pull knob which is used to adjust the tension on the knob shaft to keep it in place when pulled out. Maybe that nut is adjusted too tight, and is restricting the knob when you try to pull it out?

·
11,141 Posts
Kanman, you might want to look in the middle of the cable as some have an adjustment for the outer sheath somewhere on them other than at the carb. If not, you loosen the jam nut and lengthen the cable sheath at the carb and then tighten the jam nut back to hold that position.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys. I'll have a look at the cable first. Heading out shortly to see what I can do.

Kevin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Guys,

Well not much luck on the choke cable - did get it removed and found the 2 nuts - the one right against the carb body is the 12mm and adjustment nut (8mm). Anyway was able to adjust the choke fully closed (no movement on the choke pull at the headlight pod). Then screwed the 12mm and the 8mm adjustment nut full in and it still only gives barely 1/2 inch of pull at the headlight pod.

So I also looked at the cable adjustment for the throttle and the handle bar and opened it up a bit more. I will let the bike sit for a couple of days (currently it is dropping to about -15 to -25 Celsius at night).

Thanks for the help.....

Kevin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts