Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Polaris 500 Sportsman Towing Capacity

Hi,

I am confused by the manual and the towing capacity.

What is the difference between the:

1) Hitched towing capacity of 555.7 kg

And the

2) Unbraked trailer towing of 810kg

Sorry for such a simple question

But I do not want to damage the machine by over working it, but I do want to tow a small trailer along a road from the house to a lock up.

Thank you

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
"Unbraked Trailer Towing Capacity".... meaning the max weight of the trailer and payload (combo) if the trailer doesn't have it's own supplemental braking system. (So basically everything your going to tow with a Sportsman / ATV!!) :D As "they" don't want your load to unsafely push you around during braking. :fing02:

·
Registered
40 Posts
"Unbraked Trailer Towing Capacity".... meaning the max weight of the trailer and payload (combo) if the trailer doesn't have it's own supplemental braking system. (So basically everything your going to tow with a Sportsman / ATV!!) :D As "they" don't want your load to unsafely push you around during braking. :fing02:
So does that explain why the "hitched towing capacity" is lower than the "unbraked" capacity? Why are there 2 numbers at all since both are unbraked? I guess another way to ask is when do you have to adhere to the lower # ?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
To be honest..... I think they are basically the same by definition, but the "Hitch Towing Capacity" is what it's called in North America and the "Unbraked Towing Capacity" is a European thing based on the "EU Directive 76/432/EC" (Per a subnote* in Polaris manual)...... so either way it looks like some dry reading to me!! :D

What and how much are you trying to tow? As another important thing to keep in mind.... if we are playing and caring about the "numbers game" is "Receiver Hitch Tongue Capacity". Which is 120 lbs. /54 kg with the rear rack capacity and tongue weight not to exceed 180 lbs./81.6 kg.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Many thanks for this information.

I was looking to tow a small water bowser 250-300 litres (250-300 kilos) along 1000 Metres of track.

The track is reasonably straight, and good (but not great) condition. Think in terms of a good dirt road, easy to drive on.

I am thinking that because of the receiver hitch capacity, this might be a no go.

Thank you again

·
Registered
27 Posts
This post links into a question I have as well. I didn't want to open a new thread for a very similar issue. I have a 5'x14' foot steel trailer and I am looking to use my Polaris Sportsman 570 to put the trailer (approx 900 lbs) to its resting location. Due to the size of my truck doing this with my truck is very difficult, but I think with the small size of the ATV it I would be able to get the trailer where I need it. FYI.. There is about a 10% grade I will need to back the trailer up.

Can my 2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 with just over 1200 lbs towing capacity be able to handle this without harming anything?

Thanks in advance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts