Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just need a reminder if anyone can help .. just got 60” plow Polaris glacier plow last season for my 570 efi sportsman
Can anyone give me an idea how much snow depth I can max out pushing snow safely ? Also is it safe to do multiple driveways that are small to medium throughout day ? What speed is best in awd to push snow for no harm done to chasy? And if I hit some bumps and plow blade jumps should I worry that it will damage machine at all ? Thanks for all the insight

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have a driveway that is about 600 foot and I do that one and a few neighbors driveways as well. I just kind of do it by feel. If we have a deep heavy snow Ill make the initial pass with the plow raised some so it's not pushing as much. Once I have a path as low as I want it I then move over and just use maybe half the plow or so, again if it feels like it is really struggling I back off a little. When we have a deep heavy snow I use low gear and just keep up enough speed to keep moving and push the snow out of the way. I live in an area where everyone has gravel driveways so I keep the plow and inch or two off the ground just to not be messing up every ones gravel. We don't get enough snow to where I am plowing for hours and hours each winter. I wouldn't want to run my for hours at a time sever days a week, that's just me though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a driveway that is about 600 foot and I do that one and a few neighbors driveways as well. I just kind of do it by feel. If we have a deep heavy snow Ill make the initial pass with the plow raised some so it's not pushing as much. Once I have a path as low as I want it I then move over and just use maybe half the plow or so, again if it feels like it is really struggling I back off a little. When we have a deep heavy snow I use low gear and just keep up enough speed to keep moving and push the snow out of the way. I live in an area where everyone has gravel driveways so I keep the plow and inch or two off the ground just to not be messing up every ones gravel. We don't get enough snow to where I am plowing for hours and hours each winter. I wouldn't want to run my for hours at a time sever days a week, that's just me though.
Ok and I have the OEM tires still that came with my 2019 Polaris sportsman 570 my tread on tires are measuring about or a hair under half inch would that be still good for this winter to plow with until I get new tires in spring ? I live in northern wi and we get a lot of snow at times but usually not wet snow . Also I wanted to ask your opinion on if I hit a bump and plow blade jumps up if I should worry about atv Chasy being damaged at low speeds going maybe between 8-12 mph and I do 3-4 driveways small maybe 50 -70 feet each

·
Registered
409 Posts
8-12 mph seems a little fast for plowing but I've never paid attention, maybe it's not. Unless you hit something that brings you to a stop I wouldn't be too concerned about it bumping around. My plow mounts with a couple pins and it can be lifted and raised and is not "rigid' when it comes to up and down motion so to speak, so some bumping around shouldn't be of much concern.

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
You will want to keep the battery on a tender when machine is not in use. The winch is a big draw on the battery and the ATV charging system will not keep up.

Get a small Battery Tender

Reactions: RoyR80

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a Polaris tender I keep on it all year round even when I ride just to keep it good battery health . I have noticed when not being ran for weeks or months it’s hard to start but being ran frequently starts up easy any advice do you think I need new battery or is that normal when started battery reads around 14.8 volts to 14.4 volts when I hit throttle I’m thinking battery is fine but maybe gas settles in lines giving a ruff start ?

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I have a 66" glacier and it has no problems pushing a foot plus, just angle the blade and let it slough off the side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts