Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've changed the front diff fluid (used Polaris fluid) thinking the front wheels weren't pulling at all. Put it up on jackstands and all wheels rotate... even in 2wd. But in reverse only backs rotate. Suppose its a switch problem? Oh yeah, sometime when reversing out of the garage I get a loud bang from the front diff like it's binding.
Should I do some electrical checking or go straight inside the front diff?
Thanks for any guidance you can offer.
Grady

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
You may have a cracked sprague cage and/or warped armature plate. Mine did this when my cage was cracked. It would go in and out of 4x4 and make popping sounds kind of like a broken axle.

·
11,261 Posts
Yep, what LC said. Sounds like a cracked cage. On the stands, will it disengage after you reverse it and then try to go forward in 2WD?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
If you do find out that it is cracked/broken, i recommend replacing with the billet aluminum one from superatv also. I've had mine installed for a few years now with no issues after breaking the plastic one twice.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Polaris makes a billet one as well but its more money than the superatv one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 06 800 sportsman locking in on its own. I replaced all bearings and seals, armature plate and inspected the cage, it looked fine. when i jack the rear up and spin the rear under power the front will lock in . I found this out as i was trying to pin point a noise coming from the rear. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,580 Posts
Lost cause did u do the work urself and if so what's involved? Any links to this cage replacent?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Yes, I did the work myself. I am not a mechanic or anything like that, I have just used the forums over time to work on my atv, with good success. Here is the video I used in order to rebuild my front diff.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
This one is pretty good too.

·
Premium Member
10,580 Posts
Thanx bro.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts