Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 Polaris 850 SP has 70 miles on it. Used only for ice fishing. In temps above and below zero it won't always start. When you go to start it if you don't initially hear the fuel pump pumping you have to turn it off wait a bit and try it again until you hear the fuel being pumped and then you can start it. I have changed out the relay as advised but nothing has changed. My battery has been tested and is supposedly great. Dealership mechanics just stare, have no idea what to do. Any help out there?

·
Registered
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
894 Posts
So you’re saying sometimes when you turn the key on the fuel pump doesn’t run?-if so, it might be the ignition switch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the fuel pump doesn't pump. You can hear when it is working. The ignition switch to the fuel pump? But it never fails in warm weather.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I’ve heard of some faulty ignition switches, some guys have had to jiggle the key in the switch, or off and on it a few times to get it to work. You may have that, or a bad connection somewhere.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I’m also wondering if moisture in some connections or switch is causing it since it only does it in freezing temps.

·
Premium Member
11,449 Posts
I'd change the ignition switch.

Reactions: MrEd

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
First, nearly no cost, is to remove and clean all wire connections, reinstall dielectric grease; then the ignition switch. I had lots of cold weather starting problems. I believe my fix was replacing all the relays that are in the fuse box up front. They seem "weak". BTW - Polaris will never own up these kinds of problems and dealers will always look at you like they never seen this issue in their lives. After replacing the relays I never had another issue.

Reactions: plumberwl5 and MrEd

·
Registered
894 Posts
First, nearly no cost, is to remove and clean all wire connections, reinstall dielectric grease; then the ignition switch. I had lots of cold weather starting problems. I believe my fix was replacing all the relays that are in the fuse box up front. They seem "weak". BTW - Polaris will never own up these kinds of problems and dealers will always look at you like they never seen this issue in their lives. After replacing the relays I never had another issue.
Do you recommend any certain brand of relay?

·
Registered
2020 sportsman 850
300 Posts
My 2017 Polaris 850 SP has 70 miles on it. Used only for ice fishing. In temps above and below zero it won't always start. When you go to start it if you don't initially hear the fuel pump pumping you have to turn it off wait a bit and try it again until you hear the fuel being pumped and then you can start it. I have changed out the relay as advised but nothing has changed. My battery has been tested and is supposedly great. Dealership mechanics just stare, have no idea what to do. Any help out there?
This must be a problem known by the dealers . I overheard my salesman the day I bought mine telling n older guy that purchased a new 570. “In cold weather sometimes you’ll have to turn the key off and on 3 times before starting it”

·
Registered
2020 Sportsman 850
75 Posts
I've owned 5 SP's now and all except my 2017 had issues with starting in cold weather. My 2020 wouldn't start twice last weekend and once this weekend. My fix has been to just leave the key on until it starts. Has taken up to 5 minutes to start at times. I don't bother talking to the dealer anymore, it always starts.

·
Registered
2020 sportsman 850
300 Posts
I've owned 5 SP's now and all except my 2017 had issues with starting in cold weather. My 2020 wouldn't start twice last weekend and once this weekend. My fix has been to just leave the key on until it starts. Has taken up to 5 minutes to start at times. I don't bother talking to the dealer anymore, it always starts.
I know this may be far fetched but around here some of these mom n pops gas stations are notorious for having water in the fuel. I could see a little freezing in a spot here and there and maybe needing purged out? Idk If this is possible but I have personally had water in fuel freeze while in a can outside .

·
Registered
2020 Sportsman 850
75 Posts
I know this may be far fetched but around here some of these mom n pops gas stations are notorious for having water in the fuel. I could see a little freezing in a spot here and there and maybe needing purged out? Idk If this is possible but I have personally had water in fuel freeze while in a can outside .
Possibly I guess. Seems more like a bad/weak/cheap ele component that polaris isn't ready to upgrade yet.

·
Premium Member
11,449 Posts
That's a good point and something I have always had an odd feeling about. I haven't really run the wheelers in the cold in the past several years. But to the point I run a fuel additive in every combustion engine I own. Knock on wood so far so good!!

Reactions: Gmartino100

·
Registered
2020 sportsman 850
300 Posts
That's a good point and something I have always had an odd feeling about. I haven't really run the wheelers in the cold in the past several years. But to the point I run a fuel additive in every combustion engine I own. Knock on wood so far so good!!
That’s probably good idea to do.. as I said sounds far fetched but these new FI machines ain’t Like the old carbs you would know instantly if had any water. I know my old renegade would run on crappy gas with water from the local store same gas that ran like crap in my yfz. But yeah just a thought. Gas sucks about everywhere nowadays so I wouldn’t doubt anything. A little additive or some HEET in the winter mite be a good idea .

·
Premium Member
11,449 Posts
I gotta say and this is first hand along with all the posts across many platforms but Polaris needs to either start making their own electrical/electronic components or get Bosch to make ALL of them!!! It's stupid because its like the only issue they have with their machines. I don't feel its a HUGE problem but there are enough incidences to head off at the pass!!

Reactions: Tnsniper and MrEd

·
Registered
2020 sportsman 850
300 Posts
Oh and one more thing. If you trailer your quad to get gas and it’s from those one pump does it all where you select the grade. I would put the first gallon or 2 in your truck to empty any ethanol that was in the lines .

·
Registered
894 Posts
First: I agree with- SO many problems are associated with Chinese made electrical parts. Second: I drive 80 miles round trip to get non ethanol Pure Gas-SO worth it!

·
Registered
2020 sportsman 850
300 Posts
Possibly I guess. Seems more like a bad/weak/cheap ele component that polaris isn't ready to upgrade yet.
Ain’t the the truth ! Until people’s garages or houses are burning they just turn the other cheek to known problems .

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
878 Posts
I run premium gas in all my toys and always use gas line antifreeze in 4 stroke engines and isopropyl alcohol in 2 stroke. I’ve had gas lines freeze and it’s not fun when miles from camp/road/truck.

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
Do you recommend any certain brand of relay?
Sorry, I am away from my normal home for the winter - don't have access to much of the info. I bought mine off EBAY, look for "Polaris Relays".

Reactions: MrEd
1 - 20 of 27 Posts