Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1995 magnum 425 4x4 2019 sportsman 570 2020 sportsman 850
677 Posts
Isnt Polaris a sled company? Do they have problems starting in the cold like our wheelers do? Maybe they use better electrical components on the sleds?

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,139 Posts
Isnt Polaris a sled company? Do they have problems starting in the cold like our wheelers do? Maybe they use better electrical components on the sleds?
Their sleds are probably the best in the business. They are always on top of the latest technologies and super reliable. I’ve owned Polaris sleds since 97 which is why I went with a Sportsman. For some reason they don’t have the same quality on their ATV’s and SxS’s, but I’m sure they are working towards that. I still own my first 97 Indy 440 and it starts on the first pull every time.

·
Registered
11,265 Posts
I run premium gas in all my toys and always use gas line antifreeze in 4 stroke engines and isopropyl alcohol in 2 stroke. I’ve had gas lines freeze and it’s not fun when miles from camp/road/truck.
Alcohol draws moisture - moisture freezes - alcohol will not mix with most oils

Pure gas = good
Alcohol = bad

I guess I'm lucky or just extra careful - never experienced frozen water in a fuel line because I never had water in my fuel.

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,139 Posts
Alcohol draws moisture - moisture freezes - alcohol will not mix with most oils

Pure gas = good
Alcohol = bad

I guess I'm lucky or just extra careful - never experienced frozen water in a fuel line because I never had water in my fuel.
If you have a 2 stroke snowmobile engine, you are adding isopropyl to your gas otherwise there is a good chance your lines will freeze, especially if you store your sled in a heated garage. Come up North Latebird and you’ll experience water in your lines, not from bad gas but from condensation.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Somebody asked about snowmobiles and relays... ABSOLUTELY for Yamaha. We think Yamaha fixed them on the 2020, so if you bought a newYamaha sled pre-2020 the first thing you would do, after spending over 10 K, is replace the relay's to aftermarket "no freeze relays" (sealed). Dealers deny everything, of course. Is thought the problem is temperature changes. In another words, if the bike is cold keep it cold if you can, i.e. no heated garage/trailer/Sun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
if you are concerned about water in your fuel... pure gas or alcohol... I always use a Mr Funnel. An amazing product that catches all water before it gets to your tank. I carry one on all my snowmobiles (ATVs go into storage). keep it in a plastic bag to keep it clean.

Reactions: 98whitelightnin

·
Registered
13 Posts
First, nearly no cost, is to remove and clean all wire connections, reinstall dielectric grease; then the ignition switch. I had lots of cold weather starting problems. I believe my fix was replacing all the relays that are in the fuse box up front. They seem "weak". BTW - Polaris will never own up these kinds of problems and dealers will always look at you like they never seen this issue in their lives. After replacing the relays I never had another issue.
And there is the ever slim chance it could be something on the ECM. Not likely, more so ignition or relays.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts