Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '09 Polaris 850 XP and I'm having trouble shifting it. It shifts semi Ok when its cold. But after I ride for awhile it gets really hard to shift. I already broke one "bell crank" lever off. I put a new on on and it's going to snap sooner or later from how hard it is to shift ! Can anyone give me some idea's on what it wrong and how I can go about fixing it ! It almost seem's like bushing's have worn out on vertical shaft and the shaft is getting cocked and binding it up ! ( Just a guess though )

any help would be appreciated ! Thanks in advance !

·
Premium Member
10,580 Posts
Shifts fine when the machine ISN'T running??? How many miles and hours??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shifts fine when the machine ISN'T running??? How many miles and hours??
The machine has 337 hours and 2,500 miles. It shifts fine with the shift lever when the machine is cold. After I run it and it gets warmed up, I have a real hard time shift from High to Low, or to reverse or Park. I is the shift lever that is giving me trouble going from gear to gear or park. The oil in the trans ( Polaris Purple oil from my local dealer ) was changed recently and is at correct level. sorry it took so long, but my garage is some distance away. Thanks again !

·
Premium Member
10,580 Posts
so there are several things that can cause this. you're going to have to pop the cover and have a look see. at the mileage, hours, and the clutches are probably in need of a rebuild. Also the one-way bearing is definitely going to need service or replacement. upon your inspection of the clutches you're going to want to observe if the secondary or transmission clutch is being engaged by the primary or engine clutch at idle rpm. also make sure your idle rpm is within spec. another culprit could be the clutches have become mis-aligned. But at the very least pull the cover, inspect the belt, clean the clutches with air and water, and clean the sheaves with a scotch-brite pad and brake cleaner applied to a clean rag. let us know hoe it goes I know I might have dropped a lot on your plate but just want you to be informed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts