Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son just bought a polaris 850 the seller told him it had no spark and computer was bad. When he got it home we confirmed no spark but it would turn over. we took it to local shop where they hooked a laptop up to it when trying to start it it would try and start but backfire. Then it went to not turning over at all with no brake light or front lights, dash still comes on fuel level blinks. We checked all fuses and relays Computer was cleared at local shop. Any help from anyone that may have the same issue would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is the battery dead? Is the gas clean? Oil clean? Air filter clean? Buying used is opening a Pandora's box even from a reseller. I've seen what people do on the trails to their machines. I bought my 850 used and took it right to a 3rd party authorized dealer/shop and had them do a full inspection on it. It needed about $800 worth of work (bearings and whatnot), I gave the dealer I bought it from absolute hell and they paid for all of it despite not wanting to. Biggest thing was when I bought it the battery in the machine was too small for the machine and the voltage regulator was bad.

Best of luck to you. I LOVE my 850 and I hope you son gets to love his too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the battery dead? Is the gas clean? Oil clean? Air filter clean? Buying used is opening a Pandora's box even from a reseller. I've seen what people do on the trails to their machines. I bought my 850 used and took it right to a 3rd party authorized dealer/shop and had them do a full inspection on it. It needed about $800 worth of work (bearings and whatnot), I gave the dealer I bought it from absolute hell and they paid for all of it despite not wanting to. Biggest thing was when I bought it the battery in the machine was too small for the machine and the voltage regulator was bad.

Best of luck to you. I LOVE my 850 and I hope you son gets to love his too.
Yes to all above I found a bad relay and the guy moved the battery to back of vehicle and the way he did it was stupid but the splice was loose. We got everything working but now when turning over it backfires and front plug when checked is clear back plug is black I’m thinking out of time. He won’t listen lol but now starter is slipping

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did he got it at a reasonable price, considering the fact that it has problems when he bought it?
It’s a 2014 and has a lot of aftermarket son it for 4000$ the guy told him it was a bad computer so I guess it was alright as long as we get the backfiring and get it to start I am not familiar with them

1 - 5 of 5 Posts