Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on my son's '05 Predator 90 that I bought used. I have gone through the engine pretty thoroughly and I deceided to have a look and the CVT system. Sorry, but I am totally "green" when it comes to these "CVT" systems this is the first time I've ever seen one, so I have a couple of questions.

After removing the cover, the first step in service manual says to remove the drive belt. However, the belt seems fairly tight how do you get enough slack in it to remove it? Or is the belt not supposed to be that tight? One other observtion I made was there seems to be some play in the rear driven clutch assembly, is that normal?

Before removing the belt, my plan is to jack up the back wheels, start it and observe the function of this thing with the cover off. Is this a good idea? Again, I totally green here and relying 100% on the service manual and this forum. Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ran the atv with the back wheels off the ground, but something doesn't look right. The belt never fully disengages and when the rear clutch engages to turn the wheels its a sudden clunk. Please advise!

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
could be just slack in the gearbox. most atvs have slack in the gearbox. clutches will make some weird noises.
belt should disengage at idle. rear tires may move some when off the ground but when on the ground the bike shouldn't creep at all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got everything apart no problem. The rear sheeve on the front pulley was scared up a bit and the rollers were flat spotted. What causes the flat spotting?

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
Got everything apart no problem. The rear sheeve on the front pulley was scared up a bit and the rollers were flat spotted. What causes the flat spotting?
dirt and belt dust get in them and they'll stop turning or rolling. they'll then just slide (instead of rolling) on the other surface. doing this over time will wear a flat spot on them. replace them and any other worn parts. clean it up good and I bet you'll notice a diff in performance from before.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the new clutch rollers installed and WOW! Now this thing rips! The hill this thing would barely climb before, now my son is throwing 2 rooster tails all the way up! Cool! Glad I tore into this thing and now understand how it works! Thank again for your help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts