Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Addition of Kolpin enhances Polaris offerings in the powersports accessories market​

Polaris Industries Inc. (NYSE: PII) today announced the acquisition of Kolpin Outdoors, Inc., a privately held, Wisconsin-based company that develops branded and private label powersports accessories. Committed to innovation and growth, Kolpin is a leading aftermarket accessory brand delivering purpose-built and universal-fit Off-Road Vehicles (ORV) accessories and outdoor lifestyle products. This acquisition adds Kolpin to Polaris’ growing parts, garments and accessories (PG&A) business. The terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

“Acquiring Kolpin Outdoors, Inc. creates a multitude of growth opportunities for our PG&A business, which is a key contributor to Polaris’ top-line growth and profitability,” said Steve Eastman, Polaris’ vice president of PG&A. “Kolpin is a trusted brand among ORV riders, hunters, outdoorsmen, and landowners who value the quality and reliability Kolpin builds into their powersports accessories. Their lineup of exceptional products and deep consumer and retail relationships will help Polaris expand our aftermarket accessories portfolio and enhance our traditional and online distribution channels. ”

Kolpin products will continue to be sold under the Kolpin and Cycle Country brands, with customized private label products available through its Premier O.E.M. business. Polaris will further develop Kolpin’s established brand by applying its product innovation and engineering acumen to Kolpin’s operations, and leveraging its existing dealer and consumer relationships to extend the brand’s exposure.

“It gives all of us at Kolpin great pride to become part of the Polaris family. Although different in size, we share many of the same values; small town roots, quality products, life-style brand focus and a rich heritage in product innovation,” said Tom Lutes, president and CEO of Kolpin. “I am confident the combination of Polaris and Kolpin will further enhance the value of our brand to both our consumers and distribution partners alike.”

Since 1943, Kolpin has a rich history of providing customers with a wide array of hunting products, accessories and innovative aftermarket solutions. Kolpin has an intimate knowledge of the outdoor lifestyle market that closely complements Polaris’ core powersports business.

Photos of select Kolpin products and a slide summarizing Kolpin's business and its fit with Polaris are available here: Polaris Acquires Kolpin Outdoors, Inc. | Business Wire

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Neat-o

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Yeah.... I'm not sure what to think about this one just yet. Only time will tell if it's a good or a bad thing? :dunno:

Although I like (and would hope to believe) the above words of Mr. Lutes...... I also know how big business affects it's smaller acquired companies over time. The added checkbook/bank backing is nice, but at the end of the day it's ultimately the share holder that is being looked after, not always the "roots" or the "customer"! :D

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Yeah.... I'm not sure what to think about this one just yet. Only time will tell if it's a good or a bad thing? :dunno:
Polaris must have something up their sleeve. Maybe certain future models will come with more accessories sourced from Kolpin???? Will be interesting to see how this unfolds. Everything Kolpin I have owned for my machines has been decent

EDIT: Polaris sure has been expanding a lot lately

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'd have to say the same..... some things are "good to great" and the others are "decent"!

It will be fun to see where this goes for sure!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
It's a way for a giant company to sell the same products that most of their dealers already sell at an even bigger profit. Now they have Mfg pricing instead of distributor pricing which should double their profit on it all. Plus they will probably bump up prices like others have speculated for an even bigger profit margin. Not sure how I feel about it yet as it's one of the product lines I've been working on carrying in the future.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I wonder if they are going to pull out of Fox Lake Wisconsin? Every year they have a open door sale man you can get great deals on there scratch and dent items. if so sure will miss them. Hope they stay there or it will hurt that little town. But will be interesting to see what they have in mind for that company.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Does anybody see the plot of the movie Tommy Boy on the horizon here? When Ray Zalinski (Polaris) was trying to buy out Callahan (Kolpin) LOL

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Glad i got my Cycle Country plow system before Polaris gets in..its real heavy duty..but Polaris may cut corners..I hope not...

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
I doubt much will change. Remember how freaked out everyone one when Polaris bough Klim. As fas as I've seen, absolutely nothing has changed in Klim's gear or quality. Even their catalogs still have non-Polaris machines in it. Bought a Klim jacket a few months ago, quality still seems to be there.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I like Kolpin. They have great customer service. I ordered a rear view mirror for my atv (that bolts to the rack/rack extender) and two weeks later they came out with their version of lock and ride. I called them up and asked if I could just buy the plunger/lock and ride mount (the mirror fits both mounts) and told him that I have a polaris and liked the options that they were providing. The guy said no you can not buy it. Give me your address and I will send you one free of charge. You cant beat that!!! Plus I could always buy straight from kolpin cheaper than I could from any other source. Good company imo. Hope Polaris dont screw it up.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I doubt much will change. Remember how freaked out everyone one when Polaris bough Klim. As fas as I've seen, absolutely nothing has changed in Klim's gear or quality. Even their catalogs still have non-Polaris machines in it. Bought a Klim jacket a few months ago, quality still seems to be there.
Good point!

I like Kolpin. They have great customer service. I ordered a rear view mirror for my atv (that bolts to the rack/rack extender) and two weeks later they came out with their version of lock and ride. I called them up and asked if I could just buy the plunger/lock and ride mount (the mirror fits both mounts) and told him that I have a polaris and liked the options that they were providing. The guy said no you can not buy it. Give me your address and I will send you one free of charge. You cant beat that!!! Plus I could always buy straight from kolpin cheaper than I could from any other source. Good company imo. Hope Polaris dont screw it up.
No you can't beat customer service like that..... and I too hope Polaris doesn't screw things up there either!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I hope they don't end up moving manufacturing of the Kolpin brand to Mexico

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
my thought is lots more "pure Polaris" options coming from this. we'll see where it leads. and yes. Polaris is definitely doing some strategic maneuvering.

·
Registered
96 Posts
all I know is that all my Polaris boxes and gear perform great never a problem on my 850 xp other guys I ride with all kinds of different boxes and bags ect fall apart bad zippers latches ect

1 - 16 of 16 Posts