Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a line on a set of Polaris brand Mud/Snow tracks..
They appear to be in decent condition and have two pairs of idlers between the larger front and rear sprockets at least on the pictures I have, that manly show one just of the pair of fronts.
I have no way right now to identify whether they will mount up to my 2018 Sportsman HO EPS and am wondering since they don't seem to have as many idler sets as a lot of newer types I see advertised, just how old these in fact might be..
They also have a fairly large aluminum center or pivot support and not the tubular type I also note most of the newer variety have.
There is a Polaris logo on each support and apparently they come with some sort of 'sway bars'..
Does anyone know if there is a site that might have a chart and/or pictures that would show various Polaris models from a few years back so I could initially start trying to identify them and attempt to gauge their age and if they might fit up to my quad?
Eventually I will get some id numbers hopefully to assist - but I'd like to see some past versions if possible, to help me speed up trying to id these..
Do all Polaris ones require some sort of mounting kit or do they mainly just bolt up to the regular wheel hub once the tires and wheels are removed?
As you can tell - I don't have much of any knowledge of Polaris tracks, nor track kits in general, thus the vague questions!
Any Polaris experts that might offer some ideas or spots to help look to to try and id these is very much appreciated. Hopefully these have the type of idlers that could be refitted with new bearings and such as I've heard that a lot of them in the past didn't and the only way to a cure poor bearing situation was to buy an entire new idler wheel assembly which can be very very pricey..
Thanks for any info or suggestions - Randy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a line on a set of Polaris brand Mud/Snow tracks..
They appear to be in decent condition and have two pairs of idlers between the larger front and rear sprockets at least on the pictures I have, that manly show one just of the pair of fronts.
I have no way right now to identify whether they will mount up to my 2018 Sportsman HO EPS and am wondering since they don't seem to have as many idler sets as a lot of newer types I see advertised, just how old these in fact might be..
They also have a fairly large aluminum center or pivot support and not the tubular type I also note most of the newer variety have.
There is a Polaris logo on each support and apparently they come with some sort of 'sway bars'..
Does anyone know if there is a site that might have a chart and/or pictures that would show various Polaris models from a few years back so I could initially start trying to identify them and attempt to gauge their age and if they might fit up to my quad?
Eventually I will get some id numbers hopefully to assist - but I'd like to see some past versions if possible, to help me speed up trying to id these..
Do all Polaris ones require some sort of mounting kit or do they mainly just bolt up to the regular wheel hub once the tires and wheels are removed?
As you can tell - I don't have much of any knowledge of Polaris tracks, nor track kits in general, thus the vague questions!
Any Polaris experts that might offer some ideas or spots to help look to to try and id these is very much appreciated. Hopefully these have the type of idlers that could be refitted with new bearings and such as I've heard that a lot of them in the past didn't and the only way to a cure poor bearing situation was to buy an entire new idler wheel assembly which can be very very pricey..
Thanks for any info or suggestions - Randy
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

This is what the picture I have shows - any idea of the year or how old this type would be?

·
Registered
2022 Highlifter 850 w/Camco X4s
222 Posts
They all require mounting kits.

I'd seriously consider getting new ones, especially if you can't confirm all the parts are there and that it's a match. Just comparing my 2021 Camso tracks to my brother's 2018 Kimpex... there is a lot of differences in just the last few years.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Those are Soucy built for Polaris which they contracted with X years ago. Our Soucy made ones were sold in 2014 but someone more knowable than I about Polaris parts might be able to answer your year qeustion. If they are overly dated, then parts becomes an issue. Today they are Camso built and we've used them both. I like soucy made one better (y)..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those are Soucy built for Polaris which they contracted with X years ago. Our Soucy made ones were sold in 2014 but someone more knowable than I about Polaris parts might be able to answer your year qeustion. If they are overly dated, then parts becomes an issue. Today they are Camso built and we've used them both. I like soucy made one better (y)..
Could the mounting bits still be attached to the back of the track pieces - as in.. can you remove the tracks and have the mounting apparatus (whatever all it may be) remain attached to them of do the mount bits stay attached to the quad wheel hubs and have to be taken off separately before regular wheels and tires can be put on?
Guess I'm just displaying here, how little I really know about tracks in general..
I've seen mounting kits listed for like up around the $600 range which certainly does make any set of older tracks (good condition or otherwise) anywhere near a good deal if all of that has to be factored in to the final cost certainly, and from what little I've seen in photos of the kit pieces, they leave me still with no good idea of what they actually do or how they attach everything together.
I did look up the Soucy and Camso links you provided and the new ones sure to appear a lot different - whether better or not.. I assume better - but if I will be faced with buying newer ones or not having any at all, I will be '4 wheeling it' and not 'tracking it' going forwards!

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Some terminology might be helpful. On each a-frame on your machine will be an anti-rotation bracket made by the pod manufacture.. When taking these brackets off/on, some you can leave attached to the pod via the stabilizer rod, but leaving it on might not make your job any easier while doing this. In this photo, you can see I left the stabilizer attached to the bracket. On this machine, leaving it on is not a hindrance but I can't comment on your..

Does that help?

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting Bumper

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I get it 'somewhat'.. I can see that it appears that the axle and wheel hub bolt directly to the drive hub for the track or 'pod' as I guess you referring to it..
So my question that was "how does the axle and hub get attached to the track" - is answered somewhat right there..
The spring loaded part below I gather is there to help keep the entire track assembly from rotating around too far and possibly getting locked up into the fender area when the going gets real rough and it wants to spin nose up or down too far?
The arm and helm joints on it are there to help lock or locate the spring assembly to something solid like a control arm I assume, to stabilize and anchor it, keeping everything reasonably level with the spring tension increasing as the track' 'angle of attack' changes due to terrain?
All my short message back from those selling the tracks was, that they came with 'stabilizer bars' as well. They didn't mention what type of Quad these had been mounted on and I'm thinking they came from someone they knew that had used them and had passed away and the sellers themselves never personally had never used them - as they did comment that they had gotten them in this condition 'from an estate'..
That tends to make me think that if the tracks I'm considering, have a similar set up to the one you pictured here with some similar sort of spring deal already attached on the backside (pictures that I never had) - then whatever they are selling is probably then to be considered complete, basically ready to go, and possibly without my having to additionally purchase any extra parts or mounting kit costs to make them work..
If I've got this correct - I thank you for the 'track lesson' here..
Randy

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Randy, the pods replace each tire/rim on a machine. And that's basically how they all work. Here is one of our fronts. Take your tire/rim off, replace it with this and the anti-rotation bracket. Does that help?
Crankset Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks very much for all of your trouble to respond and add pictures (which are worth a thousand words) as well..
I do now have a lot better idea of how everything is supposed to sit and work from all of this. The people with the tracks are supposed to get back to me when they return home this weekend with some serial numbers taken off them and I will try and not only ask my local dealer if he has any idea if the tracks in question are compatible with my Sportsman in any way firstly - then what year they actually are and go from there..
I'd love to buy some new or at least newer one - but it isn't a great priority at this point.
Seems like each and every Winter in the last 5 or 6 year is so different from one year to the next that even if I had the money I wouldn't buy a snow machine since one year it would get used a lot and the next it could sit waiting for snow until mid to late January and have to be put away by mid march - this year who knows!
So far the lakes here are freezing over and we have very little snow so far, so having tracks isn't a critical thing and maybe won't be for most of our Winter..
Thanks again for all of your trouble it is much appreciated - Randy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I've dealt with lots of pods over the years :D Let us know what you figure out.
In your estimation would it be very difficult to make some supports that bolt into or on the lower control arms to attach the helm joint to the spring assembly?
I have a welder and if necessary and I could fab up some new ones if that is all it takes to make the connection that allows the stabilizer or support to work between the spring as pictured on yours and the lower control arms.
Do or are yours bolted right into the control arms themselves or just clamped onto them?
I don't know and won't until later today possibly just what parts may be missing if any, or if they are included if they would fit my bike or possibly adapted if they aren't an exact fit for mine - maybe something from scratch would be better actually..
Are the tracks as pictured yours? If so are all of the bearings in the idlers and sprockets rreplaceable with easily obtained sealed bearings like most snowmobile types are?
Randy

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Anti-rotation brackets are custom built to fit each particular machines A frames. Building your own would be a horrid job. And its close to zero chance whatever it comes with would fit your machine. If it was me, I'd simply order the anti-rotation brackets for your machine from Soucy.

Bearings in Soucy idlers are easy to replace and common sized bearings.

PM me if you'd like to chat on the phone.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Anti-rotation brackets are custom built to fit each particular machines A frames. Building your own would be a horrid job. And its close to zero chance whatever it comes with would fit your machine. If it was me, I'd simply order the anti-rotation brackets for your machine from Soucy.

Bearings in Soucy idlers are easy to replace and common sized bearings.

PM me if you'd like to chat on the phone.
I passed on bidding on the tracks that I saw for sale, as I couldn't get sufficient information as to how old they were and what they previously were mounted on - and mainly that the actual price went up by $500 after 5 days of the ad being posted!
So now I am sort of considering buying new if I can find a decent deal on some.
I've been looking at some Camso Tatou R4S and T4S models.
Anyone have and feedback to offer - I know the T4S is an upgraded version with more surface area and features and probably seems like the better system - but that also comes with quite a considerably higher price as well.
Is the difference of close to $900 between each of these models justified and are the Camso brand the best type to buy over other brands?
Does a Sportsman 450 HO EPS have sufficient ball to pulls the bigger and heavier T4S version over the R4S which appears like it would be easier to spin considering the 8" width verses 11" of the T4S.
Would I get the same performance out of both, or is there a price to be paid for the extra weight and track width of the T4S model.
Anyone who has owned, tried both to compare, or owns a 450 and uses either and would like to comment - it is much appreciated! Thanks - Randy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After using Camso and Sousy made pods, I'm not a fan of Camso. I'd also say you don't have enough ponies in that 450 to run any.
So what brand of tracks do you consider are better than the Camso/Soucy types for comparison sake? I was looking at the Kimpex WS4 tracks just late yesterday on-line - but couldn't get a final price shipped to me - great website and assistance - NOT!
I see lots of 450's equipped with tracks and especially older 500 and 550 models around here.
When you say "don't have enough ponies" - I'm not considering a ton of really deep snow or pulling heavy loads.. but what are you basing your comment on?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts