Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a KYMCO Dealer in our area. KYMCOS look good, but I'm skeptical. -- Your thoughts ??:thinking:

·
Registered
422 Posts
I only ever heard of KYMCO making quads for little kids but in recent years I guess they stepped up to bigger quads. Anyway, I don't know much about them, but I would easily pick Polaris because of reputation and years in the business

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Kymco??

Tend to agree with Kme473 but keep this in mind (from wikipedia): KYMCO or Kwang Yang Motor Co, Ltd (Chinese: 光陽工業; pinyin: Guāng Yáng Gōng Yè), is a Taiwanese company that manufactures motor scooters, motorcycles, and ATVs for worldwide distribution.

Founded in 1963 after splitting from Honda, KYMCO originally made parts for Honda. The company built its first complete scooter in 1970 and began marketing under the "KYMCO" brand name in 1992. In the 2000s, Kymco became the largest scooter manufacturer in Taiwan, and the fifth largest scooter and manufacturer worldwide.[1] KYMCO's headquarters and factory are located in Kaohsiung, Taiwan, with about 3000 employees, and producing more than 570,000 vehicles per year. The company has production facilities in Jakarta, Shanghai, Changsha and Chengdu.

In early 2008, KYMCO was chosen by BMW to supply the engines for their G450 X Enduro bike. Kymco's product line in the United States includes 15 scooters, 9 ATVs and the Venox 250 cruiser. Kymco USA Inc. is headquartered in Spartanburg, South Carolina with around 600 dealerships. And is the Official Scooter and ATV for the NHRA.

This is their list of USA ATVs so far:
KXR 90
KXR 250 (on-road)
Maxxer 300
Mongoose KXR250
MXer 50
MXer 125
MXer 125 (on-road)
MXer 150
MXer 150 (on-road)
MXU 50/150/250/300/500/500IRS
UXV 500i

Anyone have experiences with one of these or other Kymco products? So how much of a price differencial are we talking about? I mean is it really that much less costly upfront or with maintenance and/or does it have features above and beyond Polaris? :hmmm:

·
Registered
422 Posts

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
The 443cc rocket that cat uses in the 425/450/500 is a kymco mill! I almost bought one!

Awesome engine!!

The competition is really heating up, and brands like CF Moto and Kymco will give Polaris a run for their money. Could be a CF Moto dealer opening locally soon, will be looking at them next also.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hard to say about KYMCO...but in recent years they seem to raise the bar. Hmmm...:ponder:

biz
:veryhappy:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tend to agree with Kme473 but keep this in mind (from wikipedia): KYMCO or Kwang Yang Motor Co, Ltd (Chinese: 光陽工業; pinyin: Guāng Yáng Gōng Yè), is a Taiwanese company that manufactures motor scooters, motorcycles, and ATVs for worldwide distribution.

Founded in 1963 after splitting from Honda, KYMCO originally made parts for Honda. The company built its first complete scooter in 1970 and began marketing under the "KYMCO" brand name in 1992. In the 2000s, Kymco became the largest scooter manufacturer in Taiwan, and the fifth largest scooter and manufacturer worldwide.[1] KYMCO's headquarters and factory are located in Kaohsiung, Taiwan, with about 3000 employees, and producing more than 570,000 vehicles per year. The company has production facilities in Jakarta, Shanghai, Changsha and Chengdu.

In early 2008, KYMCO was chosen by BMW to supply the engines for their G450 X Enduro bike. Kymco's product line in the United States includes 15 scooters, 9 ATVs and the Venox 250 cruiser. Kymco USA Inc. is headquartered in Spartanburg, South Carolina with around 600 dealerships. And is the Official Scooter and ATV for the NHRA.

This is their list of USA ATVs so far:
KXR 90
KXR 250 (on-road)
Maxxer 300
Mongoose KXR250
MXer 50
MXer 125
MXer 125 (on-road)
MXer 150
MXer 150 (on-road)
MXU 50/150/250/300/500/500IRS
UXV 500i

Anyone have experiences with one of these or other Kymco products? So how much of a price differencial are we talking about? I mean is it really that much less costly upfront or with maintenance and/or does it have features above and beyond Polaris? :hmmm:
Very informative. -- Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
We have a mongoose 250 and an arctic cat 90. Both have been great quads.

Sent from my Galaxy 4 using Tapatalk 2.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
my buddy bought a 2011 cat XC 450i last year which is the same machine as the kymco 450.. Just different skin.. He's got about 1000km's of hard, hard riding on it now and hasn't had any problems with it.. That said, I spent about an hour on it on our annual labor day trip this year and man was it uncomfortable.. Granted I ride an 850 Touring so when we switched the sensation was really exaggerated.. Anyway, I wouldn't necc shy away from kymco but their line up is not in the same league with polaris - can-am, or Yamaha just yet.. But they're a strong company that is not a fly by night up start and they are starting to turn some heads.. Only time will tell I suppose..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Everybody should get whatever quad makes them happy. As for me, I believe Polaris's are still made in America. At least mostly. We are loosing everything we have to China daily. If I could put my money back in to this country. And help somebody like on this forum, or anybody else here. I'm going to get the one from around here. It doesn't matter how good a Kymco is.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
That is why i finally opted for a polaris...need to help keep a neighbour employed!!
Everybody should get whatever quad makes them happy. As for me, I believe Polaris's are still made in America. At least mostly. We are loosing everything we have to China daily. If I could put my money back in to this country. And help somebody like on this forum, or anybody else here. I'm going to get the one from around here. It doesn't matter how good a Kymco is.

·
Registered
479 Posts
A year ago I test rode the MXU 500 and the UXV 500 and I can say this with hand on heart that this is NOT your typical china crap. These guys know what they're doing and they do one hell of a job. Quality is awesome and in 5 years I dare to say that they will be up there with the big guys and hopefully they will increase their dealer network

·
Registered
130 Posts
Although I havent seen a kymco in person other than the arctic cat 450xc. I just traded in my cat 450 I had for 2 years and 1000 miles. It had 0 problems- it did have the kymco motor and its a very good motor, Plenty of power, topped out at 58-60mph even with the plow on! very comparable to the sporty 500 Racing one I could get him out of the hole but he would take me once we hit 50 My buddy has an 01 sportsman 500 and it will top out at 64mph no mods I had a 98 and would barely hit 55. but where it really shined was 4low situations. that could go anywhere you pointed it up, over or thru.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was a dealer

for Kymco (primarily scooters) as well as Vespa. I was VERY impressed with the quality and affordability of the product. The support was amazing compared to the Vespa for 1/3 the price. Repairs and warranty issues were almost non-existant (not good if you are the dealer)! I would buy one without hesitation.
Just my .02.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts