Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Polaris 400 for the wife. The Battery would not stay charged, even with a trickle charger attached. I tried to remove the battery and install a new one. Due to the location - below the fuel tank and in front of the engine, with very little clearance for a wrench - this was a difficult task. It was almost like the machine was built after the battery was put in. I challenge any average ATV owner to remove the battery in less than a hour. Due to the restrictive space this was just a BITCH to get the battery out of the machine. The POLARIS engineers must all be IDIOTS to put this routine maintenance into a shop only replacement issue.
I would never purchase another Polaris that has the battery in such a confined location. BOO! to Polaris for allowing a routine maintenece item to now be a shop replacement only. You cannot remove a Polaris battery without removing other parts of the machine. Good luck to those of you have not had to try installing another battery in the Polaris 400. I have been told other models have the same problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I hear you!!! polaris engineers are meant to have PHD's But I think they are located on their fore heads !!! lol to put a battery where they did what were they thinking.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I agree,that is just ridiculous.:wtf: I understand wanting to have the battery secure,but there are definately better places to put them where you can get to them easier.If they were thinking dealer service,I'm sure the dealer mechanics have better things to do than screw around with a battery.NONSENSE!!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I agree Its in a stupid location, but remember it is a rather compact 4 wheeler. So space is very limited. In the air-cooled Hawkeye/Sportsman 300 the battery is located where the radiator fill spout is in the 400 HO. It took me about 15 to 30 minutes to swap one out. The battery in my wifes 400 HO did not even last a whole year. Its clear to me that Polaris batteries SUCK. My Scramblers battery only lasted about a year and a half. I just bought a cheap WalMart brand battery to replace them and I will guarantee that they will last longer than a Polaris battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts