Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got new to me 2010 sportsman500 HO with about 42 hours and 330 miles on it. Runs great! Question, should i introduce any fuel stuff like say the polaris carbon clean or just let it be since it runs great? was just thinking preventive maintenance, though machine will be ridden couple of hours each weekend.

·
Registered
2007 500x2 le
850 Posts
i use the polaris carbon clean every other tank of fuel it also helps with ethanol problems a few other members also swear by sea foam im sure someone will chime in i do like the polaris stuff use it in all my small engines and had no issues

·
Registered
422 Posts
I use Star Tron gas treatment by Starbrite in all my machines to combat the crap ethanol. Never had any problems. I carry small 1 oz bottles of it on my Harley.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys that gives me more confidence to use fuel treatments. my local austin, tx polaris dealer recommeds yamaha engine med rx. says it also de-carbons internal engine components and costs much less, like under 3bucks for 12 oz. gonna give that a try if i can't find polaris carbon stuff. good luck to us all!

·
Registered
615 Posts
I use Star Tron gas treatment by Starbrite in all my machines to combat the crap ethanol. Never had any problems...
My father recommended the same stuff to me, as he was the service manager for a Polaris, John Deere, Toro, and Stihl dealer for about 10 years. He said it was amazing a lot of the problems they were seeing with small engine seals and rubber components that werent designed for ethanol.

Ive been using it faithfully in my lawnmower and weed whipper for the last 3 years and now in the new-to-me 96 Sportsman!

So far so good, but it could be snake oil!

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I'm a fan of seafoam. great stuff.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Advice from a father is the best! Glad you chimed in, i'm headed to walmart for a couple bottles. I've got a riding mower that mostly sits at a deer lease (used for the campground), plus the usual assortment of other lawn power equipment and 2 sportsmans. Guess this works on 2 cylcle just as well?

·
Registered
526 Posts
We use a lot of Seafoam. It helps keep gas fresh and clean up the varnish gas can leave in the fuel system. The fact it works well for us in the engine oil 50 miles before an oil change and 300 miles before a bucket flush in our automatic vehicle transmissions is a plus.

If using Seafoam in a dirty fuel tank be prepared to change the fuel filter we learned.

It seems to help get water out of hydraulic systems for us as well. The fact it is for both gas and diesel engines is a plus in our case too.

It will not "fix" anything broken or worn like carb jets but it will clean issues from sticking servos, rings, valves, etc due to them being dirty we find. We use it more as PM. At 1.5 oz per quart of new motor oil in a dirty engine it will come out dirty after just two hours. We like to short cycle oil changes on used stuff until the oil stays clean for longer than two hours. To help clean ring groves and prevent sticking rings potential I like to run Seafoam in the oil for stay three 15 mile runs between full cool down because it works while I sleep.

In the real world there are people who use no additives and have NO problems for what it is worth. :raincloud:

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
adding seafoam to oil

like the idea of using seafoam to cleanse engine inards before an oil change. up to now i've used (don't laugh) "Gunk" which i think is mostly naptha? Anyway i'm guessing seafoam has to be lots better. I have an old 4runner (about 225 that i got at 180k and after several 5k oil changes w/gunk its lots cleaner. I recently used seafoam in its gas and after just a few miles the engine seems to start effortlessly (like a quick touch and 1 turn vs. 3-6 turns before), hoping it only gets better. do you use seafoam an all your engines oil and fuel (no matter 2/4 cycle and size of engine) continuously? 1.5 oz/qt of oil and 1 oz/gal fuel? thanks!

·
Registered
526 Posts
I try to put 2 oz of Seafoam per GALLON in the can before I fill for 2/4 cycle gas usage/storage.

The only time I ran 1.5 per QUART in the crank case more than 50 miles before an oil change was when after a new oil change the 2002 GM 5.3L stated to show low oil pressure on a hot restart. After some research I felt the odds were high it was due to a sticking by-pass valve in the oil pump when hot so I added 8 oz to the new engine oil and when we drained it out 160 miles later the loss of oil pressure on a hot restart had stopped. We checked the line PSI and found it 35 at idle and 6K miles later the loss of oil PSI has not reoccurred.

Seafoam is not a solution for broken machines unless it is due to dirty/sticking parts not moving right. It will clean the carbon off pistons but that was why it was invented 70+ years ago. :)

When using in older vehicles it will clean the tank too so get ready to change the fuel filter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts