Polaris ATV Forum banner

Polaris explorer 400 4x4 2 stroke

10K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  CamUHelpMe 
#1 ·
Good day people I just bought a 1996 polaris explorer 400 4x4 2 stroke and was wondering what type of 2 stroke oil goes into the front oil cap and do I need to mix my gas and oil still and what type of oil should I use thanks. Hope to hear back.

#2 ·
A 1 gallon bottle of Polaris 2 stroke oil like this will last you for years. If you fill the tank up in the front then it is injecting the oil and you can run straight gas in the tank. If you disable the oil injection system then you have to mix it. People usually disable the system for insurance because if it doesn’t work properly then you have no oiling. Not necessary but again cheap insurance.

#3 ·
If the oil injection is working then no pre-mixing is recommended or required. The previous owner should have informed you of the requirements. Use 87 octane non-ethanol or 89 octane ethanol blended fuel at the minimum - 91 octane is fine either oxygenated or non-oxygenated, but you will get better fuel economy with non-oxygenated gas. Use the Polaris Blue two stroke oil mentioned above.

#5 ·
Welcome to the forum

#15 ·
What I did, to check if it was working after changing fluids and draining the reservoir, I put one gallon of mixed fuel in, then the reservoir was filled up (more than I normally would), marked the tank, and let it run for about 45 minutes while I was doing my leak checks. Also ate lunch.

I shut it off, and opened the reservoir, it didn't go down much, but it was obvious it was down.

Just what was suggested to me by a buddy of mine.

#16 ·
Best way to check the injection is to remove the line from the intake, cap the port, hold the pump wide open and let the engine idle about a minute - if the pump is working it will create about 1 drop of oil about every 5 to 10 seconds - it's not as hard on the engine as letting it idle for more than 3 minutes and it is engine abuse to let it idle longer than 5 minutes.

#18 ·
That little odd shaped tank on the left side, that is the coolant overflow on my 95 Xplorer. It is fun to add coolant to when it is all put together. I use a funnel with a piece of clear tubing on it to fill mine.
It is the one located under the reserve/main switch. (just making sure we are on the same sheet of music.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.