Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this question but my question is about extended warranties. My factory warranty will be up next month and I contacted my dealer about an extended warranty. I have not had any issues with my 2013 Polaris 550 LE but I am quite aware of the issues many have had with their ATV's. And so I was wondering how many of you have extended warranties on their machines and whether or not the extended warranty is a good idea. I would like to think so even though I seldom buy into extended warranties as a whole but in the case of these machines I'm thinking it would be a good idea to go with the extended warranty, if not at least, for peace of mind.

So how many of you think that an extended warranty is a good idea and have had to use it and from those of you wish they had gone with an extended warranty for their ATV?

·
Registered
679 Posts
How many miles and hours do you have? Any troubles yet?

General rule of thumb, extended warranties are a cash cow for insurance companies and polaris. But if it helps you to sleep at night, surely you should get it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My motor had to have a top end rebuild before the factory warranty ran up. I was like you didn't think I needed an extended warranty. After this and the excuses that made no sense as to why the dealer said it started burning oil I chose to buy the extended warranty. I was glad I did as the "new" motor only made it 200 more miles before burning oil like crazy again. The next repair had a total cost of $2150. I still was on the rope for $500 of the repair but that was a lot better than the larger because first the extended warranty denied the repair and said it was on Polaris because it wasn't fixed right the first time. Thank God the new dealer went to bat for me on this and got most of it covered. This is what we settled on. Mine was a crazy situation because I bought the machine from one dealer, bought the extended warranty from the dealer closest to my house which screwed up the first rebuild, and it was the third dealer that fixed it right.

My lesson learned pick a good dealer first even if they are a little more because its the service after that matters. I will buy from 3rd dealer next time.

If you get the extended warranty and have a good dealer where you bought the machine get the warranty from them. In the unlikely event that something happens they have skin in the game and are more likely to take care of you. Don't let my story scare you. I admit it did suck but I stuck with Polaris because I don't think my situation was typical. I would still buy another one again.

Also you will have better negotiating power with your salesman than anyone else. Yes the prices are negotiable. I think I paid $780 for a 3 year.

Hope this helps

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
There seem to be two different camps on this forum. Those who think an extended warranty is a total waste of money, and those who won't buy an atv without one. I am from the latter camp. I've only used the warranty on my 850, but it saved me way more $$$ than what I paid for all of them put together. I always hope it is a waste of money when I buy it, but I would have been over $2500 lighter in the wallet if I didn't have it.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I dont buy manufactures ext warrantys b/c in my past with them they dont want to cover anything(which is why the dealer says they dont sell them anymore). I have a aftermarket warranty that I got 5 yrs for 800$(i think). I used to pay for 2 new front axles so far. I still got 4 yrs left but Im hoping that I dont have anymore issues with the bike.

·
Registered
978 Posts
i bought it at first but ended up canceling it because they wldnt cover stuff after i added tires or other after market parts. So why pay for something you cant use if you add stuff to the wheeler

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Some may have gotten it cheaper but I paid around $725 for the 4.5 year warranty extension from Polaris. My dealer price matched online dealer I've mentioned in other threads.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The experts will advise against them as they are not created to save you money but to make money for the dealer and insurance company. If you leave your ATV stock then you might get them to cover an issue. Any mods and your screwed. Most have more Clauses than Christmas so beware. If you have a good dealer they will point you in the right direction. Sometimes they work out but always read the fine print.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
The experts will advise against them as they are not created to save you money but to make money for the dealer and insurance company. If you leave your ATV stock then you might get them to cover an issue. Any mods and your screwed. Most have more Clauses than Christmas so beware. If you have a good dealer they will point you in the right direction. Sometimes they work out but always read the fine print.
yep if I need something done I have to put it back to factory spec. Thats the only thing I dont like.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I dont buy manufactures ext warrantys b/c in my past with them they dont want to cover anything(which is why the dealer says they dont sell them anymore). I have a aftermarket warranty that I got 5 yrs for 800$(i think). I used to pay for 2 new front axles so far. I still got 4 yrs left but Im hoping that I dont have anymore issues with the bike.

Can you share who you went thru as I'm considering getting this with a new machine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
I was talking with a dealer today and was told that polaris has just brought the extended warranty back inhouse after beings outsourced. I don't know if this would be better for the consumer or easier for them to deny coverage?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My dealer price matched this site which offered genuine Polaristar Warranty.

Finance Department Motorsports Superstore Hamilton Alabama 35570

You can buy warranty from any dealer.
Apparently Polaris, as of January 1st, is no longer honoring the extended warranty from Polaristar but has their own. If you bought a warranty from Polaristar prior to January 1st then you're OK. The new Polaris warranty is more than what Polaristar was costing. My dealer quoted me a discounted price of $800 for the 3 year warranty. What gets me is that the extended warranties start from the original purchase date of the ATV, not from the purchase date of the warranty. And so a 3 year extended warranty is really a 30 month warranty. I'm not sure why they can do this since the factory warranty covers the first 6 months. Bastards!!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Every time you buy something - car, ATV, toaster, TV, etc. - ask what the extended warranty cost. Instead of buying the warrantly, put that amount of money into a special "extended warranty" savings account and never withdraw from it unless you have to get something fixed. After 20 years all your stuff will have been fixed, and you'll have a nice little savings account. Extended warranties make tons of money for the manufacturers.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Every time you buy something - car, ATV, toaster, TV, etc. - ask what the extended warranty cost. Instead of buying the warrantly, put that amount of money into a special "extended warranty" savings account and never withdraw from it unless you have to get something fixed. After 20 years all your stuff will have been fixed, and you'll have a nice little savings account. Extended warranties make tons of money for the manufacturers.
This is probably generally the rule but last year I received over $4500 in repairs off of a $1800 extended vehicle warranty.

·
Registered
554 Posts
This is probably generally the rule but last year I received over $4500 in repairs off of a $1800 extended vehicle warranty.
You're the lucky one, sort of. The reality is most people never recoup the money they put into an extended warranty. That's why manufacturers and other companies offer them. They make money.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I gauge it personally on how complicated the vehicle is. A base model I would pass on but a fully loaded rig with all the features that I plan to drive into the ground I do consider. There are ways to get bumper to bumper factory warranties into the 10 year realm if you purchase just shy of the stock warranty expiring.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts