Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Polaris Front Differential On Demand OEM maker specs, diagram and lube requirements.

http://www.hilliardcorp.com/media/18172/FDS-1-Auto-Locking-Front-Differential-for-On-Demand-Four-Wheel-Drive.pdf

I assume Hilliard has made changes over the years and this info is dated 2006 but looks like what is in our 2002 Magnums.

Hillard is specific on what Mobil fluids to use: (5 oz.) Mobil 424 or Mobil fluid LT. Both are tractor gear box fluids.

Mobilfluid LT

For those of us around tractors and many other machines recognize Mobil Fluid LT specs is simply UTF (Universal Tractor Fluid) that is setting in every farm store and AutoZone.

Applications
Recommended by ExxonMobil for use in:

Heavy-duty transmissions, differentials, final drives, hydraulic systems, power steering systems, wet brakes, PTOs, and hydrostatic drives used in agricultural, contractor, and industrial applications
Recommended for top-up and refill of systems
Suitable for transmission applications requiring Type A (Suffix A), Dexron, and Type F fluids
Recommended for hydraulic and transmission systems where an SAE 10W-20 engine oil is specified
Do not use in passenger car automatic transmissions

Specifications and Approvals
Mobilfluid LT is recommended by ExxonMobil for use in applications requiring:

Caterpillar TO-2, John Deere J20D

Typical Properties
Mobilfluid LT
SAE Grade 75W-80

Now we see why Polaris shop manual for 2002 Magnum state Type F ATF is an option. Since J20D is anti foaming gear oil it may just be fine for the transmissions like in our Magnum or even better than 5W-20/30 motor oil.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that feedback. Once I saw the Mobil LT spec fluid for the On Demand AWD style also met the CAT and John Deere specs it became clear the premium UTF we have on hand from TSC (Tractor Supply Company ) would be fine for the 5 oz needed by the On Demand feature and the transmission gear box. As was mentioned in another thread the transmission can have chains in it too and UTF is loaded with anti foaming additives so that should work out great. Locally UTF runs from $6+ to $9 a gallon. Tractors and especially our old back hoe often have some water in the gear boxes and some UTF (Universal Tractor Fluid) is designed to cope with some water in the system.

Polaris like many others use as much off the shelve parts from major vendors as possible so when I found the real OEM specs including for required fluids I was excited. I hate silly donkey guessing games when we know Polaris fluids are not one of a kind. :)

However I feel most are fine sticking with the Polaris rebranded fluids since they will not in most cases do not already have the fluids on hand that the OEM makers tell Polaris to use.

The warning we all need to heed is Polaris has a lot of different equipment out there from many different suppliers so what may be right for one Polaris transmission, etc may not be right for another Polaris transmission, etc.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Thanks for the handy info!

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Thats fine for the older machines with hubs, but too thick for the ones with centralized diff, and also too thick for the tranny's

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats fine for the older machines with hubs, but too thick for the ones with centralized diff, and also too thick for the tranny's
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?urlRequestType=Base&catalogId=10051&storeId=10151&productId=881&langId=-1&errorViewName=ProductDisplayErrorView&categoryId=&parent_category_rn=&top_category=&urlLangId=&cm_vc=-10005

Russ while it is not as thin as diesel fuel 10W-20 is thin enough for the Hilliard On Demand 4WD used in some Polaris machines because that is what they spec for the system in our Polaris Magnum and is what they have Polaris and others spec too.

Look at the chart below from a Russian site that shows Mobil 424 or Mobil fluid LT that is spec fluid for our On Demand 4WD Polaris set up is the same as UTF (Universal Tractor Fluid) from Castrol which is also a major player.

http://www.76oil.ru/pics/vzaimo/transmission_fluids.pdf

Actually the one fluid that is mission critical in a Polaris I am told by ATV shops is Synthetic motor oil in the large number of Polaris engines that suffer from low oil pressure at idle. They tell me that the synthetic film strength is better so the cam lobes do not wear off as fast.

While we have an emotional need to think Polaris fluids are the best on the market and is natural for a Polaris owner. :) I felt that way too until found out different by researching the makers that tells Polaris what fluids to use so now I feel Polaris plays games with us. That is not to say the fluids rebranded are not OK because Polaris would not sell them if new machines blew up using their branded fluids.

At this point in theory the best motor oil to use in our Polaris engines may be Mobil 1 0W-50 motor oil because of the high level phosphorus and zinc in the Polaris engines that spec out at 12-20 PSI oil pressure at 5500 RPM. If we get the 325 rebuild that blew an oil cooling hose we place to use the Mobil 1 racing oil to test the theory. :)

I am shocked reading posts where people leave their Polaris idle for 20 minutes when it is know the top end is not getting required oil flow for good lubing.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
The 10-20 will be fine, I mis understood and thought you were talkin about the mobile Lt which shows to be 75-80w, Thanks for the info I use Castrol 5-30 in the engines and tranny's on all polaris machines, have for years, never any problems, only polaris oil I use is the demand drive for front diff, might try your mobil 424

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
10W-40 and 75W-90 oil have same viscosity @ 212F

The 10-20 will be fine, I mis understood and thought you were talkin about the mobile Lt which shows to be 75-80w, Thanks for the info I use Castrol 5-30 in the engines and tranny's on all polaris machines, have for years, never any problems, only polaris oil I use is the demand drive for front diff, might try your mobil 424
Russ because most of us are confused by oil numbering system I just learned last week 10W-40 motor oil and 75W-90 gear oil have the same viscosity at 212F. Haas covers this point in the last paragraph of chapter eight in the link below when he writes:

Here is an interesting tidbit of information. A 75W-90 gear oil has the same viscosity as a 10W-40 engine oil at 212° and 302°F. Once again, those numbers on that oil can are misleading and certainly add to the confusion I see among automotive enthusiasts. At 75°F gear oils are much thicker than motor oils. There are no start up issues so pour point depressants are not added that minimize the thickening with cooling in gear oils.

Motor Oil 108 - Bob is the Oil Guy

Back to the subject that per the OEM of the On Demand 4WD UTF meets their specs but it does have a cold pour point like 10W-20 motor oil but the same viscosity at operating temps (212F) as would 75W-90 gear oil.

We know this is factual because many of us put 90 weight gear oil in tractors of yesterday year and now we dump in the 10W-20 weight Universal Tractor Fluid to protect the same gears transmission 10X HP to the wheels.

After years of wondering how UTF could be used in about anything EXCEPT the engines I am now get that at normal operating thick and thin at cold can offer the same protection. Lubrication products and options have come a long way but many of us old ones ran off the road in that curve. :)

In short in our Polaris 2002 Magnum 325 should be fine with UTF in everything EXCEPT the crankcase. Start up viscosity/film strenght is critical in an engine but not so much in a box of gears/chains/etc. It seems 0W-XX is best for any engine at start up. The 20, 30, etc number is determined by what it takes to keep the oil PSI in the range stated by the engine maker. The lower the last number the better Haas points out because there is a greater volume of motor oil flow and more cooling from the motor oil.

Actually I am glad I read what Dr. Haas started in his short motor oil booklet. He points out the harm of using too high of viscosity because it can cause an oil pump to go into by-pass mode pumping oil directly back to the oil pan and not THROUGH the engine oil passages. This generates heat in the oil so is a fuel waster. As a kid I can remember on a cold cold day we would have to drive the pick up in low gear for some distance because it did not have the power to pull it in a higher gear because of the lube in use back then.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Does the Hilliard clutch and diff need the EP additives like a car or truck diff? Or are they counterproductive?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Thank you Gale. I have some Petro Canada Duratran synthetic that I will use when I tin out of Polaris fluid.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UTF (Universal Tractor Fluid) contains EP additives

Does the Hilliard clutch and diff need the EP additives like a car or truck diff? Or are they counterproductive?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Item # 201647, Universal Tractor Fluid (UTF) On Parent Petroleum

hatzie while this is a marketing blip from Castrol for their UTF you can see the specs at the bottom. You can see the viscosity is 9.39 at 212F degrees. A viscosity of 10 seems to be the ideal viscosity to lubricate main/rod bears or the gears in a gear box in most cases IF the right fluid is used. You can see Castrol UTF is still in spec even with 1% water in the mix. That could be a plus in the gear boxes of swimming ATV's. :)

In short this is why UTF is used universally around the world for gear boxes and hydraulic systems and the like.

While it is good marking to sell a quart of fluid when only 5 oz is required yet in the real work a day world we require something like UTF that covers most all lube needs EXCEPT for our engines. Personally we keep some volume of premium UTF and 5W-40 Rotella T6 around the place we are never shut down if we find any dip stick reading low.

Yes we have started playing with some Mobil products because they are good too. I will use Syncromesh (sp) in a New Venture manual transmission since it is a once in a life time fill in most cases but some say a 5W-30 synthetic motor oil will work just as good.

I am convinced for our two 2002 Polaris Magnum 325's UTF is just fine for all but the engine fluid needs.

Again it is my personal view for those who does not have a quality UTF setting around and premium synthetic motor oil they should just go get the stuff Polaris rebrands and call it a day. Service departments must be a profit center if one wants the dealership to be there when they really need it.

If Polaris is covering the machine I personally think it would be foolish to show up with a blown engine or gear box without the spec Polaris fluid in it.

Most of the lube info on the web is tainted period. I swear some of it is posted by those who could not even find a dip stick and if they did they would have to google to see the reason it exist. :(

If Polaris is going to have to give you a new engine for your new Polaris machine you can bet their lube advice/specs will cover their financial interest.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts