Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up this piece of garbage well used, replaced CVT and a bunch of other odd and ends. Now it seems to be hemorrhaging oil into the CVT housing getting on the belt. Is this a easy fix or am I better off lighting it on fire and rolling it down the hill.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
The oil is coming from the engine clutch cover seal #7 in the breakdown - part # 3089867 which is NLA (no longer available for the 2006 to 2011 Hawkeye - you will have to buy the clutch assembly #1 part number 3089981 @ $310

You will also need part #3 shim/gasket, but it is also NLA - to install it, the transmission needs to be removed.

Now, if you remove the seal and inspect it for size, you might be able to order a common seal from a bearing supplier.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So what I'm gathering latebird, is with all of the parts NLA this really needs to be junked. I'd rather not waste my time on a lost cause which this hawkeye seems to be. Every time I'm at the polaris parts counter for this thing, it's what I run into.

·
10,367 Posts
With some of the older machines you do get to the point that its no longer economically feasible to try to fix unless you have some sentimental attachment and just want to keep it.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
I posted a thread touting the pitfall of owning the worst ever Chinese Polaris ever marketed. The Chinese salesman that sold it to Polaris is probably a millionaire for selling something to Polaris that they could not sell domestically.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I didn’t realize the Chinese/Polaris was even a thing. Sounds like an interesting read. What’s the subject I can search for?

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Polaris 90, 110, 150, 200
Kawasaki 50, 90, 110
Suzuki 50, 80, 110
Yamaha Vino 50, 125
Honda has some too

But, Kawasaki, Honda and Yamaha have production facilities in the U.S. and other countries - Polaris moved from the U.S. to Mexico to take advantage of the North American Free Trade Agreement. Now all is not rosy because Honda opened facilities here to take advantage the allows them to import 2 units duty free for every 1 unit produced here, but Kawasaki opened a facility here in the 70's to take advantage of the market of their biggest consumer.

Blame the American CEO - they went to China and encouraged and enticed them to exploit their non-regulated non-EPA governed economy to produce cheap parts and products to fatten their wallet and increase the bottom line of the companies they were employed by - their actions did nothing to reduce the cost of the product to the American consumer. When Polaris moved production from Minnesota to Mexico, it was not for the benefit of the American worker, but for the benefit of the corporate leadership and the 'stock holder' of the company. Getting cheaper labor to assemble the product did not result in lower cost to the consumer, but in increased profitability of the company and increased salaries of the corporate officers. They profit and the laborer suffers, but it raises the standard of living of those who are willing to walk upon the American standard of living and it's the corporate officer who encourages the trampling of the American commoner. It's all driven by greed and benefit for the elite and the consumer be damned. As long as the American consumer is stupid enough to support the company's product, the less jobs, production and innovation will be available to or stem from the American citizen.

Now Harley Davidson went another route moving their much of their production to India - still taking advantage of lower cost labor and less production related environmental restrictions. We are hurting our own by allowing corporate executives (the 'Elite') to pad their portfolio at the expense of the 'weak', but this is nothing new - it has been happening for centuries.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts