Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Polaris HD 3500 winch mounted on my Ranger 400 recently. Today while plowing snow, the cable must have got a kink or slack, and reversed itself on the spool. Now I've got the hook all the way back to the roller, and I cannot turn the locking hub to get the spool in neutral to unwind it.
Short of cutting the cable and having the hook re-attached, what else is there I could do to get the cable out?
It will not move in the "take in" position from the remote. The motor clicks when I press the "let out" side of the button, but nothing happens. It pulled the blade up when I had the button on the "let out" setting - then reversed itself, raised all the way to the stop and got stuck.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Are you saying it went through the fairlead? If so remove the fairlead and hook something to the hook on the winch cable. Then while putting some tension on the wire by backing up the machine and unwinding or winding the winch as needed until you get past the kink or fold over.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Sounds like its rolled over on itself. Wish I had better news but you may need to remove the fairlead cut off the hook with a dremmel. Then reattach using cable clamps from hardware store. Happened to me last plow season

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
If you have enough room, just remove a couple of the rollers on the fairlead then tap the button a couple times, should get the shaft in the winch unbound, then you can free-wheel.
Hopefully ,your hook has the swivel and you can take the cotter pin out and remove the hook without cutting on the cable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
But plow is still attached....

How can you attach anything and free wheel it out if the plow is still attached? It wont budge. It will pull in just a tad, but wont roll out at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same problem. The cable is still connected to the plow, so no, it did not go through the fairlead as asked several times above. As for putting pressure to pull; I have placed my full weight onto the blade, trying to cause the blade to go down and pull some cable out, but nothing. When trying to retract the cable I hear the motor whine a little, it is trying. When I try to let cable out it makes a simple click sound but no movement. The clutch is not allowing me to release the roller.
The first time I had the trouble I was able to lift my blade a little bit, took pressure off the cable, and it restored without incident. The next time the winch jammed blade was all the way up, could go no further even when trying to manually raise the blade, in fact the entire quad lifted instead because there was no room left. I had not tried the clutch the first timebut it didn't cooperate the second time.
I have considered removing the blade by taking off the pins on the bottom but they are tight too and that will be difficult as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts