Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a broke cv so I ordered a new one got the axle apart and this is what I found and no I did not hit anything I have Richocet cv guards on and not a mark on it
I heard Polaris axles snapped easy but this is nuts

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
problem = 28" Mega Meyhams without upgrading the axles as well. Looks to me like it twisted but hadn't quite snapped yet. Sorry, but I've gotta call this one a combination of user error and an incomplete upgrade.

The polaris axles are designed to handle the stock tires. thats why they come with them, and not bigger tires. If you're going to go up in size on your tires, you also need to upgrade your axles to account for the added torque and drag. Not just the clutch. The drive train is a complete unit, messing with one thing will effect the rest of them as well. You've got the clutch kit, but not the axles per your signature. Time to upgrade.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would normally say you are right but believe me I have not put this bike with these tires on in any situation to do that to an axle. I previously had a 800 RZR with 3" lift and 30" backs with stock axles and never had this happen. I have only had these tires on since the 4th September, did a ride in Maine which had no mud and a ride here at home so I don't think it was the tires, even the guys at the Polaris dealership just smiled and said pretty much these axles are junk and pre 011 were a lot stronger. Just got off the phone with Super Atv and ordered 2 new front axles

·
Super Moderator
7,095 Posts
It's always because Polaris makes junk. We should all know that by now. We are never the cause, it's all on Polaris.
C'mon man, give us a break.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's always because Polaris makes junk. We should all know that by now. We are never the cause, it's all on Polaris.
Wow guys like you on here must own shares in Polaris. I did not say Polaris is junk I really like my quad and this is the second Polaris I have owned but sometimes you have to admit when certain parts are not good quality such as their axles and from what I am reading bushings too. I had second thoughts about putting this post on here because of people like you and you have proved my instincts right. I am not a liar I do not exaggerate and I know what I have done with this bike and I also know that I have not been hard on the bike to bend a frikken axle!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
problem = 28" Mega Meyhams without upgrading the axles as well. Looks to me like it twisted but hadn't quite snapped yet. Sorry, but I've gotta call this one a combination of user error and an incomplete upgrade.

The polaris axles are designed to handle the stock tires. thats why they come with them, and not bigger tires. If you're going to go up in size on your tires, you also need to upgrade your axles to account for the added torque and drag. Not just the clutch. The drive train is a complete unit, messing with one thing will effect the rest of them as well. You've got the clutch kit, but not the axles per your signature. Time to upgrade.
I call BS!! There's been people with stock machines with broke axles!! I for one know a guy that did it on his climbing a hill!!

2013 850ho

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I wont say you can't break an axle with the stock set up. But I will say that adding larger tires to the equation without upgrading the axles and the clutch is just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I wont say you can't break an axle with the stock set up. But I will say that adding larger tires to the equation without upgrading the axles and the clutch is just asking for trouble.
I'm not saying the tires didn't help the axle BUT I am saying it's known that polaris axles r crappy!! I'm not bashing polaris Bc I like mine!

2013 850ho

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree with you with the axles and I was eventually going to upgrade it to Rhinos during the winter that's why I know that I did not do anything to bend this axle as I wanted it to last the rest of the season but I do not agree that you have to do the clutch on a 850 for two tire sizes bigger

·
Premium Member
12,078 Posts
So u bought some rhinos. Why rhinos over gorillas?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So u bought some rhinos. Why rhinos over gorillas?
$200 each so two Rhinos for the price of one gorilla. When I ordered them I was talking to Casey I believe, he said they are 17% stronger than gorillas. I don't know if that is true or not but I know a lot of guys on the RZR forum run them and think they are a good axle. I also told him that I am thinking of putting in a small lift of an 1" or 1.5" just so I can get that comfy ride back not having to have the shocks jacked almost to the max and he said they would hold up good also one year warranty

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Pigs will fly before i will ever own anything with a Gorilla product!! They very unprofessionally bad mouthed their competition online (FB) event postings. Calling their competitors garbage, junk in more than one pic says a lot about them.

High lifter or Rhino for me.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Wow guys like you on here must own shares in Polaris. I did not say Polaris is junk I really like my quad and this is the second Polaris I have owned but sometimes you have to admit when certain parts are not good quality such as their axles and from what I am reading bushings too. I had second thoughts about putting this post on here because of people like you and you have proved my instincts right. I am not a liar I do not exaggerate and I know what I have done with this bike and I also know that I have not been hard on the bike to bend a frikken axle!
Your thread is titled Polaris axles are junk, and after reading your comments, you knew they were a weak point, and still put the mega-meyham tires on, knowing what might be the consequences. We don't care in the least how you ride it, but many people come in here claiming they treated their stuff like virgins, and it tore up. You knew what might happen when you installed the larger tires, and whether you say you rode it easy. or not, the evidence suggests otherwise, or maybe it was just the added weight of the tires and regular trail riding, either way, you knew what could happen, and now that it did, I guess we are supposed to believe all Polaris axles are junk. I don't think so

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Your thread is titled Polaris axles are junk, and after reading your comments, you knew they were a weak point, and still put the mega-meyham tires on, knowing what might be the consequences. We don't care in the least how you ride it, but many people come in here claiming they treated their stuff like virgins, and it tore up. You knew what might happen when you installed the larger tires, and whether you say you rode it easy. or not, the evidence suggests otherwise, or maybe it was just the added weight of the tires and regular trail riding, either way, you knew what could happen, and now that it did, I guess we are supposed to believe all Polaris axles are junk. I don't think so
UR a joke! If u don't see the treads about broke axles then u need to look alittle more often!! It's not just this site either!!

2013 850ho

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
UR a joke! If u don't see the treads about broke axles then u need to look alittle more often!! It's not just this site either!!

2013 850ho
No...I think ur the joke, you saw all the posts and still decided to get an 850 that u knew had a problem with axles, among other things, and then install bigger tires knowing that it would add to the problem. Kinda stupid if you ask me, and then come in here and complain. Sorry you bent an axle but I aint listening to this trash anymore. Hey, if you think they are all junk, go buy something else then you could really complain

·
Registered
1,420 Posts

2013 850ho
No...I think ur the joke, you saw all the posts and still decided to get an 850 that u knew had a problem with axles, among other things, and then install bigger tires knowing that it would add to the problem. Kinda stupid if you ask me, and then come in here and complain. Sorry you bent an axle but I aint listening to this trash anymore. Hey, if you think they are all junk, go buy something else then you could really complain
Keep up with the post hero Bc I'm not the one that bent an axle!!

I'm not complaining about my axles I broke but I'm not gonna sit back and watch folks try and always blame the people when they break an axle when PART of the problem is polaris weak axles.

2013 850ho

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

2013 850ho
Maybe you need glasses to read, try looking at who called you a joke it wasn't me! You do however seem to have a soft spot for Polaris and their inferior parts that they are now putting on a machine that is putting out 77hp. When I had my RZR with 30" backs on with STOCK axles I beat on that thing for 3 years and only broke one axle and I didn't think anything of it because I was hard on it. Maybe Polaris should be a bit smarter and use the smaller axles up to say a 550 and then make something stronger for the 850 just like canned ham do and artic cat

·
Registered
679 Posts
You guys crack me up. Polaris does put some garbage parts on their machines. If you haven't found that to be true, you don;t ride enough.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Have any of you wondered if the weak axles might be a designed weak point. I for won would rather brake and axle than a differential, drive shaft, belt, transmission, engine. you break an axle you can limp back to the trail head. you brake one of the others you're being towed back. yes, I understand some people have broken more than 1 axle in a single instance, but still it's cheaper to replace an axle than any of the other parts in the drive train. save the belt.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Have any of you wondered if the weak axles might be a designed weak point. I for won would rather brake and axle than a differential, drive shaft, belt, transmission, engine. you break an axle you can limp back to the trail head. you brake one of the others you're being towed back. yes, I understand some people have broken more than 1 axle in a single instance, but still it's cheaper to replace an axle than any of the other parts in the drive train. save the belt.
Exactly!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts