Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get a couple of spare keys for my quad.

I've tried a few hardware stores and they can't reproduce the key.

The key has a 4 digit number. Can this be used to obtain a replacement key from a dealer?

How much (roughly) do they charge for this?

Can others make copies of the keys? Any store names?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
All you need is the four digit code for the dealer to order one. I picked up one, was $4.60. Normal hardware store cut it

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
The 4 digit key code represents the type of key blank (1 of 4 or 7) I believe used by Polaris.

There is no way for a dealer to make a key for you from this code, or the vin, or anything else. This information isn't stored. The dealer I worked didn't even have a key cutter.

If you still have a key, you can get the blanks from Polaris (I think cost about $7) and then have a look smith cut the blank based on your current key.

If you lost all keys and did not know your 4 digit key code you would have to try all the blanks in your ignition till we found the one that worked, than have a locksmith cut a key based on the ignition. Or replace the entire ignition and get new keys that way (around $70 I think)

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got mine made at the local locksmith.
You can get a complete switch with keys from amazon or ebay for right at $30

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
As mentioned above.... Bring the key or 4 digit key code in to the dealer and buy the blank. That's about the only place you'll find one..... but the blank isn't cheap, as mine (this spring) were about $7 a pop, plus the locksmith cutting them at another $1-2 a piece. He was so shocked at the price he has been on a mission to find a suitable replacement. The local locksmith is a friend of a co-worker & ohm rider, has a moble set up and has been back a couple times to try different keys. Every time he has cut one I've gotten to keep it free of charge for my sample machine. He hasn't found a 100% match yet, but the two keys he has cut have worked just fine. For reference they are "old yamaha key blanks". Side by side the blanks are farely close, the molded groves are off slightly. But they still slide right in and allow the machine to fire up, likr the factory key.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I don't know if this situation applies to you, but my wife and I carry a copy of the each others' key on our own machine's key ring. Figure the chances of losing both sets of keys out on the trail are very slight.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I don't know if this situation applies to you, but my wife and I carry a copy of the each others' key on our own machine's key ring. Figure the chances of losing both sets of keys out on the trail are very slight.
Thats exactly what I do.

I also had to go to a locksmith to get my spares made, he had blanks that fit and had no issues.

·
Registered
223 Posts
As stated above I went to the dealer and spent $8.50 on a blank and I'm going to go to a locksmith to have then cut the keys

2013 Sportsman 550 pursuit camo

Badlands 3000lbs winch

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I bought blanks off eBay couple years back. Cut them myself at work.
Guess I got lucky with correct blank ! Lol

CW

·
Registered
43 Posts
you might try a locksmith in your area should be able to get a dulp key cheeper then from the dealer...... we sell them for like $3.50

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I bought a 2 blanks from here for my XP. Total including shipping was about $8.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Well after loosing my spare key a few weeks ago and then watching this thread, I bit the bullet and went to the dealer too get a couple extras.. taxes in was $22 and change for two blanks.

I then went to the local locksmith to have them cut and low and behold the locksmith carry's Polaris blanks, He would not charge me to cut them as he said "Polaris charges way to much for a blank, Tell your friends I carry many brands of blanks for ATV'S and Motorcycles"..Done you got my business.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I bought a 2 blanks from here for my XP. Total including shipping was about $8.
Please disregard my link. Keys were not compatible and vendor made no attempt to rectify purchase after repeated emails. I purchased OEM keys.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Local locksmith here had blanks. I paid $2 each cut.

Sean

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Unfortunately, none in my area seem to carry the Polaris blanks for some reason.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well after loosing my spare key a few weeks ago and then watching this thread, I bit the bullet and went to the dealer too get a couple extras.. taxes in was $22 and change for two blanks.

I then went to the local locksmith to have them cut and low and behold the locksmith carry's Polaris blanks, He would not charge me to cut them as he said "Polaris charges way to much for a blank, Tell your friends I carry many brands of blanks for ATV'S and Motorcycles"..Done you got my business.
What were the blank #'s Skiz:gruebel:
P.S. How was the hunt this year?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts