Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great quad. When it’s running. Will not start easy. Cranks good. New starter new battery. No sputter no back fire. Pull the recoil and it starts with half a pull. Where should I look next??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Since you know it’s firing, it’s going to be air to fuel next. I’ve had a couple of issues with mine in the past. The vacuum operated fuel pump can go bad. Pull the vacuum line off of the carb and the fuel line. Create a vacuum over and over again simulating engine vacuum and pressure to see if it’s pumping fuel to the carb. The other issue could be the intake boot. I had mine leak at the head. Really sucked to track that’s one down since I couldn’t really get a reaction with carb cleaner. Those are two places to start, and I’ve had both issues. Out of all the bikes I’ve had or owned, this is my favorite. Can’t say why, but it is.

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
Many times hard starting is an indication of tight valves - check the valve clearance - if the valves were recently adjusted, check then again just to assure it's not the root cause. Alcohol blended fuel will contribute to hard starting. And of course an in intake leak - I have an old Kawasaki KZ305 - starts great with choke, just won't idle until it's been ridden for about 15 minutes - it has an intake leak on one cylinder and I just haven't had time to replace the carb holders (intake manifolds, boots or whatever you want to call them, but they are holders) - if it wasn't a twin cylinder engine, it would probably be hard starting too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some one said check stator. But it starts with recoil. Wife rides this one so electric start is mandatory.

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
Stator is the alternator - it is responsible for charging the battery and the CDI - the battery is not involved in the ignition - only for running the electric starter and lights - if the charging coil or the pulse coil is failing, it will have a weak or late spark which will make starting hard - when recoil starting, the engine spins faster and the signals are stronger which makes starting easier, so it could be valves or stator - stator output can be checked with a peak voltage tester.

·
Registered
12 Posts
How did you go Geno, mine is a pig to start as well but I don’t have a pull start to check if it starts easy on that. Even when mine has been running for a while, if I stop it & immediately try to start it again it takes forever.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts