Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening,

I have a problem and I need advice from wiser heads. I had a problem with the starter on my 95 magnum 425. Pulled the original starter and took it apart. Found one brush broken and the other worn all the way down.

Looking online for a new brush kit, found a brand-new aftermarket starter at DB electric.com. Bought it.

Replaced the starter, and noticed a loud squeal when the start was engaged. Pulled the starter and bench tested it, it ran quiet as church mouse. Reinstalled, loud squeal.

Pull the recoil starter housing cover off to check the starter gear for any parts rubbing, any marks etc. found nothing. Pull the rope start and everything is quiet, can't hear anything rubbing there either.

Went back to DBelectric.com and ordered a new starter pinion. Installed it, put it back together, still a loud squeal.

Pulled the starter housing off again. Noticed there was wear in one pinion bushing, replaced both. Put it back together, still a loud squeal.

Pulled the recoil starter housing again (getting really good at this now) and removed the Pinion. Hit the start button, starter spins fine and as quite as can be. Took a shop rag, then a board and put a load against the starter shaft. Starter is completely quiet, no change under "simulated" load. Checked the engine case as well as the recoil housing starter, and the starter gear for any kind of wear marks, scrapes, bright spots, or grind marks. Found none.

Put it all back together it hit the starter button, loud squeal.

I'm about to pull my hair out and need advice from anyone that has any ideas or similar experience. The starter turns over fine, has lots of power, just really loud. Not really sure that the problem is even in the starter, however the problem didn't start until after I replaced the starter.

I can't find any rubbing and I replaced several parts that were suspect to no avail.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Big dog

·
11,141 Posts
:gruebel: Humm, sounds like you've checked about everything I would have. All I can think of would be to compare the shaft length and overall dimensions of the old vs. new starters and make sure you didn't loose the thrust washer behind the starter gear (#14). They often stick to the case on disassembly. Other than that...:nixweiss: I'm stumped.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Did it do that with the old starter? Is it possible that the stator may have shifted and is grinding on the flywheel or vise versa. Perhaps its the Bendix itself? just it have a good return spring and spin out easily? When in doubt you could spray it down with some WD-40 or PB Blaster and if that quiets it down then take some thin white lithium grease and grease it up

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you resolve this?

I had the same thing happen last week on a 99 sportsman 335, just got the starter of of ebay....

The previous starter did not work at all so I cannot compare the old sound to the new.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would bet its the bendix. #12 in the diagram above. Its about twenty bucks online,I would replace that, its a one way bearing type drive gear and can be worn/rusty inside no matter how much stuff you spray at it. Did you replace the bendix?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Starter Squeal

Just checking to see if you had any luck with the starter squeal. It seems like the bendix may be extending beyond the starter gear so when the starter is engaged the benix initially engages but then flies out beyond the starter gear. I ordered a new starter and bendix and I'm looking to see if I'm on right track.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts