Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Magnum 500 craigslist special. Got it running pretty decent. The front tires will not engage into 4x4. I noticed the front drive shaft doesn't spin at all. Does the four wheel drive on these engage in the tranny, front differential, or hubs? Should my front drive shaft be spinning?
Any help much appreciated.

PS. I need to break down and by a service manual. Are the factory Polaris one's best or the Clymer's? Sometimes the Clymer's seem to be better.

Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Engages at hubs, first take front cover off, find the wires that go down the struts on both sides, believe they are grey and brown, with key on, awd switch on is there 12 volts to grey wire? the brown is ground

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I guess that means the front drive shaft should be spinning whenever the atv is in motion. Sounds like I've got to pull the transfer case and see whats going on in there. I was hoping to avoid major work on this project. Jimmy Buffet says "gotta stop wishing, time to go fishing.." Or something like that.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mate! I hope to enjoy her for a little while, but my wandering eyes have been falling on TRX700XX's as of late. Hope to get this one all gone through and tip top and sell her off by next month.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got the transfer case almost out, but I can't for the life of me slide the front drive shaft out of the transfer case's front output shaft. That is just a slip fit right...? My next option is to punch out the pin at the differential side of the front drive shaft and pull the transfer case out with drive shaft attached. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tranny is out....and there was a lot of loose metal parts inside. Chain came apart, and so did a sprocket. With all that metal floating around in there, all of the guts need to be replaced. So I think the best way forward is a good used replacement. Any one got one?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts