Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Im new to the forum and have a problem with a 2002 Polaris Magnum 500 4x4. I use this atv for plowing snow at my home and received it from my father in law last year. It was sitting in his barn for a couple of years so I drained all the fuel cleaned the carb and started it up and have been ridding it off and on. My problem is when the atv starts and I begin plowing snow it runs great..Until about 25-30 minutes into riding it. It then starts to idle bad ans stall typically after pushing snow into a pile and switching it from forward to reverse which seems hard do to me having to feather the throttle bc if I don't it will stall. IS THERE ANYONE THAT CAN HELP ME OUT? This is driving me up the wall. I did try to shut it off and restart it but after plowing and then stoping it just dies again. After I start it back up it will sit and idle but pretty rough. It also backfired once today. Take into consideration it is 26 degrees f here today as well. Should I start with a carb rebuild kit? possibly a float issue or fuel pump issue?

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I would pull the carb apart again and CLEAN. Idle circuit sounds like its plugged up. You really shouldn't need a rebuild kit unless your needle/seat or gaskets n o rings are shot. Also check to make sure your carb boot isn't cracked. Clean the air filter element also. New spark plug. That's where I would start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I will give that a shot. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me that it only does it after warming up..

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
A dirty carb can do a lot of strange things. Also make sure you have good fuel flow to the carb.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not 100 percent sure but the long spring on the top of the diaphragm wasn't attached to the jet block assembly. Could that be the problem? Or would it have even ran? It was disconnected and coiled up inside the bootg

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
That spring doesn't attach, just sits in there and lid keeps it on, I would check the exhaust lobe on the cam shaft for wear, common on the older 500, might also wrap the fuel line from the carb to the gas valve with heat reflective tape, can get it at home depo, they tend to get the gas too hot in the fuel line and vapor lock, easy fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Russ C thanks for the help Heres what I did to it today

Ok So I tore the carb apart again, No dirty jets etc but still took the time to thoughly clean it all out. I don't see much wear on any carb parts either. It only has 520hrs on it since new. I realized this and see if this could possibly help with pinpointing the problem by any chance. It runs excellent after its initial warm up of course but after about 30 minutes tonight it dies when I put it from forward to reverse or reverse into forward etc. But if I put it into neutral the idle raises and it runs great. Then if I put it into forward or reverse the idle goes way down and will stall right away or will stall a few moments after its put into forward or reverse. The battery is new but would the winch use up enough battery for it to do that? Would a fuel pump cause that issue even though it runs excellent from initial warm up? Would vapor lock cause this issue Like you said? It is wrapped in a this heat wrap but it looks kinda old. Its also 11 degrees f out tonight too. But that's unfortunately the temps when things need plowed. I never did notice it doing in the summer time at all! I will try to wrap that fuel line like you suggested. Its the one opposite from exhaust side correct? That being the Lt side if on the atv

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I think you have a sticking primary clutch or a really hot belt. Is it hard to shift when it starts acting up? You may just need to take it for a little cruise to help cool down the belt when it happens. Are you plowing in low gear too?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I plow in high..should I plow in low? I also did take it out on the road last night and ran it down the road but it still had the same issue. How could I find out if he clutch is sticking? Remove the belt cover?

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Is it creeping?trying to move when you idle down and change gears? 520 hrs usually equals around 5200 miles, that's more than enough time for the cam to be bad, have you put any Seafoam in it? Try adding some to the gas, it will help clean things up, and yes plow in low.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts