Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Polaris is the biggest pos brand you can buy. I will never own another one.
2015 Sportsman Etx 963 miles 115 hours.
Issues in the last two years and continuing

Voltage rectifier replaced
Fuel pump failed during ride
Winch wiring shorted out on frame (dealer install)
All 4 corners have play if you press in and out in top of the tire
Clunking noises involving rear end slop when hitting bumps or using the rear brakes
Battery strap broke on ride and it rubbed the front driveshaft

Now the 1 year old rectifier will not charge the battery when the quad is started without revving it up and watching for it to kick in with a multimeter. Then it will charge at idle
And now the fkin motor is leaking oil at the front, behind or around the motor mount bracket

F polaris.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Ok so you need new bushings more than likely. The winch isn’t Polaris fault it’s your fault for letting the dealer install it. The oil leak could be simple. A battery strap? I mean that could happen to any brand. Voltage regulators are common on the Polaris so that is for sure a Polaris issue. Did Polaris cover any of the other stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Every manufacturer has lemons. You take that chance any time you buy something. Don’t let one bad apple ruin your experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,044 Posts
A friend of mine had the output shaft of his 2010 Honda 500 Rancher break requiring complete engine disassembly to replace - should he not buy Honda anymore? He also had the rectifier, alternator, one front drive shaft, winch and other parts fail since it was new. He did not abandon the brand, he just bought a 2018 TRX500FA7 Rubicon 500 Deluxe Auto DCT EPS - figures if it lasts the same amount of time as the old one with more repairs than the old one, then it will be worth the investment. But, he doesn't use it just for fun, it is for working on the farm. It will go places the 4WD truck won't, is easier to navigate in tight situations and easier to retrieve when it breaks. If you are using the quad strictly for recreation, you can expect more repairs than one used for a specific purpose.

Did you ever over rev the engine? Did you ever let it sit and idle for more than 5 minutes? Did you ever 'jump' with it or 'pull wheelies'? Dis you ever run it at top speed for more than 500 feet? Did you ever take through mud deeper than 8 inches for more than about 20 feet? Did it ever not get washed after a mud outing? If yes, then it was abused. Abused vehicles need repairs more often.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Did you ever over rev the engine? Did you ever let it sit and idle for more than 5 minutes? Did you ever 'jump' with it or 'pull wheelies'? Dis you ever run it at top speed for more than 500 feet? Did you ever take through mud deeper than 8 inches for more than about 20 feet? Did it ever not get washed after a mud outing? If yes, then it was abused. Abused vehicles need repairs more often.
Over rev, no
Idle, no besides testing stator and reg
no the suspension won't handle the weight
not enough power to wheelie
Top speed for 500 feet, no it is a Polaris it would probably catch on fire
mud 8" 20 ft, that is abuse? Lol
I wash it every time

i found out something interesting today though with my charging problem.
The dealer I had work on my quad in 2016 stole my brand new voltage regulator I installed and replaced it with one that had the red power wire spliced. The soldered splice went bad. The one I put on was brand new

·
Registered
807 Posts
If that's the case then 100% of ATV's are abused.Sounds like lawyer talk

·
Registered
8,044 Posts
You are almost right - 99.5% of all ATV's are abused - most on purpose and some not intentionally - only a few are used as intended by the manufacturer - abuse includes; infrequent oil changes, incorrect tire pressure, washing with a high pressure washer, not washing, failure to follow the recommended maintenance intervals and even failure to read the owners manual.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What is the fascination with wheelies?

Washing after every ride is adking for electrical issues. Did you dielectric grease every connection?

Over rev, no
Idle, no besides testing stator and reg
no the suspension won't handle the weight
not enough power to wheelie
Top speed for 500 feet, no it is a Polaris it would probably catch on fire
mud 8" 20 ft, that is abuse? Lol
I wash it every time

The dealer I had work on my quad in 2016 stole my brand new voltage regulator I installed and replaced it with one that had the red power wire spliced. The soldered splice went bad. The one I put on was brand new

·
Registered
119 Posts
This voltage regulator issue sounds fishy to me. The red wire has a bad solder joint, but when rev up the bike it started to charge? Why would the dealer working on the regulator if you had already replaced it.

The dealer I had work on my quad in 2016 stole my brand new voltage regulator I installed and replaced it with one that had the red power wire spliced. The soldered splice went bad. The one I put on was brand new[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
What is the fascination with wheelies?

Agree! The ETX is a 325cc machine and you are upset because it won't wheelie?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The intent of a Polaris is not mudding, wheelying, jumping, submarining, etc.
The Sportsman’s intended use is “utility”. Meaning towing, pushing, leisurely riding around a farm, heading out into the woods for a hunt and towing your catch back.
As latebird stated, almost all Polaris are abused.
These are not YFZ450’s or KFX450’s, they are a utility machine.
The issue is, Polaris has not kept up with the typical buyer in what the machine is used for.
They know this and are good with it as they make loads of money on part sales.
The Scrambler was no different. I learned very quickly that I was on the wrong machine, hence I sent it down the road.
Great suspension, great powerhouse, and average wear parts makes for a very high maintenance machine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where would the 325 etx be leaking oil from at the front underneath where the coolant hoses go into the block?

·
10,595 Posts
Wherever oil comes into contact with a seam
That is so helpful
LOL, despite how it may seem sometimes, we don't have a crystal ball to magically tell us where your problem originates. You'll have to do it just like the rest of us do. Clean/degrease or at least wipe off the area of the leak. Warm the engine up and using a bright light get down close and LOOK. :nerd
If I were guessing, which is all I can really do over the net, I'd guess its probably coming from the oil pan gasket (#7). You might try tweaking the pan screws (#8) a little if you can get to them. Especially around the front where you say your leak is.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
You are almost right - 99.5% of all ATV's are abused - most on purpose and some not intentionally - only a few are used as intended by the manufacturer - abuse includes; infrequent oil changes, incorrect tire pressure, washing with a high pressure washer, not washing, failure to follow the recommended maintenance intervals and even failure to read the owners manual.
All manufacturers of "equipment" have very detailed defintions of "abuse".

Like they really think all these things are going to do is put thru grassy, smooth fields at 10 mph.

Polaris, honda, can am, ford, gm, pick your point. Its so they have an easy "out" when it comes to warrenty work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Wherever oil comes into contact with a seam
That is so helpful
LOL, despite how it may seem sometimes, we don't have a crystal ball to magically tell us where your problem originates. You'll have to do it just like the rest of us do. Clean/degrease or at least wipe off the area of the leak. Warm the engine up and using a bright light get down close and LOOK. :nerd
If I were guessing, which is all I can really do over the net, I'd guess its probably coming from the oil pan gasket (#7). You might try tweaking the pan screws (#8) a little if you can get to them. Especially around the front where you say your leak is.

No, the oil is coming out of the weephole located right next to the top engine bracket bolt on the front. It looks like in order to get a straight shot at the water pump seals to fix this, the belt housing and clutches have to come off...….Polaris :madfawk:

$60 dollars in parts plus clutch puller,...………:madfawk:

This quad is
on its 2nd voltage regulator if you include the one that snow polaris in Pa stole from me
fuel pump assembly
winch wiring
clunking annoyingly (supposedly this is normal) yeah right
right side close off kit to keep steam and heat off of leg
belt box leaks water in (guess this gets to be fixed now looool)
bad wheel/hub/steering design (slop at all 4 corners)
heat shield at the tank to keep the new pump from failing so fast like the factory one
battery replaced with oem one

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just sold my 14 year old Sportsman 800 - only problems I've had with that were a broken front hub not long after I got it, and constantly torn front CV boots, until I installed stick stoppers. Oh, and the grenaded plastic front differential roller bearing cage. Never had one electrical problem in 14 years, 1,100 miles, 260 hours.

Sounds to me like Polaris is following ALL manufacturing trends as of late, be it automobiles, appliances, or electronics. Every part is produced by the lowest bidder, and slapped together as cheaply as possible. As an auto and small engine tech, I've seen parts quality of everything, even Japanese motorcycles, nosedive the past 12 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Installed my new voltage regulator today. I now have 14 volts immediately after starting the quad.

Now I have moved on to fixing the oil leaking from the weep hole. I made a 3/4-16 clutch puller with threaded rod and two nuts from fastenal. Cost $13. The clutches are off and I will be removing the tsat housing tomorrow.

Such an incredibly bad design for this seal to go out and have to take the belt housing off to get at it! Only 963 miles lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts