Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 425 Magnum 2x4 that I use on the farm (most during deer season), and I am not sure of the model year. I want to service it before I start using it this year. I have not worked on it before, other than replacing the headlight bulb. Oil change and spark plug are definitely on the list. I am not sure how to access the spark plug. I also have a few issues that need to be fixed. 1 The starter spins but does not engage. Would this be a bendix issue? 2 It tends to be very hard to get into any gear position from neutral when the engine is running and then sometimes jumps out of gear. 3 The recoil starter does not always engage. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the link and the welcome. At this time, I don't have access to it to get the numbers off of it. Does anyone have any suggestions for my issues I am having with it?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Oil change its just like a car. There are aftermarket filters you can use if you do a quick search. 0w40 synthetic oil. You should also change the transmission fluid and differential fluids. None of it is hard, just drain and refill. To get to the spark plug you will likely have to remove the gas tank. The starter sounds like you are right, recoil could be dirty inside. Remove the cover and check it out. Clean it up and lube it. The shifting might be a couple issues. If it is only hard to shift while running them your idle is probably a little high. If all the time then there is some corrosion or something holding it back. The jumping out of gear issue is likely just an adjustment on the shift linkage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your answers. As I stated in my earlier post, I have never done much on a polaris. How hard is it to get to the starter Bendix? Should I be expecting anything to fly out when I remove the recoil starter? The idle actually seams a little low to me, but that could be because it needs a new plug.
Do all model year 425 magnums use the same oil filter? Oil capacity is 2 quarts? Is there a filter for the transmission? How much fluid does it hold and where is the drain and fill?
I know I'm asking alot of questions, but all I have ever had was an old honda. Is there a website where I can download a manual? Thanks again for all your help

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
If you can figure out the year there are manual links all over this site to download one. Nothing to worry about on the recoil that will fly out. Starter on the 425 I'm not that familiar with so I can't say how hard it is to get out, but can't be that bad. Most all the single cylinder engines user the same filter for all years and sizes, 2 quarts of oil. No filter on the trans, and I'd have to check a manual myself on the capacity. I think it's 14oz if memory is right. Once you get in and looking you will see the drain and fill plugs, they are easy to identify.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You have been very helpful. Thank you. I was looking at an exploded view of the recoil starter, it has a drain plug in the housing. Will there be oil in it? I have been checking on filters and spark plugs for all 4 model years of the 425 magnum, they all use the same filter and plug. Will 10w40 synthetic be ok if I can't find 0w30?
What type of Trans fluid will I need? It is 2x4, so I don't think it has a differential

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
There is a rear differential unless it's chain drive. You can get Mobil 1 0w40 at Wal-Mart as well as the filler you need. I've always run the Polaris brand trans fluid and diff fluids, but there are dozens of threads here with alternatives.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just got a filter and 2 qts of Mobil 1 0w40. It is chain drive and I should know what year it is tomorrow. Thank you very much for your assistance

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm getting there. I've found that it is always helpful to talk to those more familiar with equipment before tearing into it. Thanks again

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have found out why my recoil starter is not working. The reel is busted where the finger goes on it. Does anyone know where I can find a reel cheaper than a dealer? I would take a used one, if it is in good shape. I also am looking for pics of the recoil starter as it goes back together. The exploded view in the parts illustrations show it from the case side. I would like to find some from the engine side. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts