Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is mainly a bitch session about Polaris policies. If you agree that this is not right then please complain to you dealers, etc and maybe we can get Polaris to rethink their stance on this.

I live in Washington State and we just passed a law allowing for some street use but requiring that we have a horn, turn signals, etc..

Polaris does not offer these parts except for a generic horn kit to US customers but in other countries they sell street legal quads and kits to add turn signals etc. So for example instead of me being able to replace the switch on the handlebar of my sportsman with one that has a built in blinker/horn buttons like on the overseas factory models I must install some aftermarket system with buttons on the instrument pod, etc requiring me to take my hands off the handlebars to operate them. I can understand Polaris not wanting to take the liability of selling street legal versions of the quads, sxs, when most states do not allow them to be used in this fashion but they can at least offer the parts or kits so that we can modify them ourselves using factory parts and take on the liability.

Tim

·
Registered
425 Posts
Welcome. And your right, I guess they dont need the money that bad. Good luck with your rigging.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Why not just order the Euro part? I'm in WA as well and will be outfitting the new bikes to make them street legal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealers are not allowed to order the Euro parts.. I am checking with some friends in the UK to see if I can get one that way.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Why not order the parts online?

Mark

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Although we seem to have 9 million online Polaris dealers in the states it does not seem to be the same overseas either that or my google fu is week. If you can find a place to order part# 4012435 I would love to see it.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Looks like that stuff is available up here in Canada.

Mark

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I dont think if you change the switch out it is going to help you. Your most likely gonna have to change oy the wiring harnes with the switch.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
These machines come from polaris as an "offroad vehicle"i don't see how its their problem to offer on road accessories , just because certain states allow them on the road.

There are a billion universal light kits you can use anyways..

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The OP's point is that Polaris already makes these parts as required in other parts of the world so why not make them available in the US. In any event, it's a moot point since they seem to be available in the US.

Mark

PS. The wiring harnesses are different between the US domestic and International models.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Washington's new law is a joke! It only applies in very small counties and there are only a few of those in eastern Washington. The extra license fees are just another money grab by the liberal idiots in Olympia. I would not waste my money to make my quad legal for Washington.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Although we seem to have 9 million online Polaris dealers in the states it does not seem to be the same overseas either that or my google fu is week. If you can find a place to order part# 4012435 I would love to see it.
So would I.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I've had some luck buying some gray market VW parts in QC and BC Canada and bringing them back with me declared. An example is the engine heater I bought from the VW dealer in Kelowna for my VW. It's sold in ROW including Canada but not the USA.
Usually if it's under a certain $ amount, and obviously vehicle parts with a receipt, the border guys aren't interested in running me through the wringer. A tax is due... or not. YMMV

It's a little surprising that Polaris isn't allowing the sale of these in the US when they probably assemble the INT version right in Minnesota.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You should take another look. There are a number of new places in king, Snohomish and pierce that will be available, as well as forest roads and DNR...

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
852 Posts
it's probably about liability, you know how sue crazy Americans have become :| Polaris is covering their butt by not offering these packages which could end up in a hefty lawsuit.

probably not much can be done. though a street legal ATV offering would be cool :D may have to be it's own model though so it complys with motorcycle qualifications.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
at some point the liability goes to the end user. It's not Polaris's responsibility to ensure that a vehicle that is street legal in one state isn't used on the streets in a state where it's not street legal. I can only assume their reasoning is that if a vehicle appears street legal, it could potentially be confused as being street legal where it's not. Thats the responsibility of the user, not Polaris. They should allow the sale where ever. If someone wants it, let them buy it. Thats a good way to lose sales. If the parts are available why not sell them? If the model is available and meets the legal standards of a state, why not ship them to that state for sale? You'd sell more product if it met the needs of the region they are being sold in. I'm sure they could even add a premium to the street legal models in that state and still sell them. Require the dealerships to require proof of residency in order to purchase a street legal bike and Polaris is covered.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
All good points...

All Polaris has to do is put a disclaimer on the parts that they are for off-road use only like half of the jeep accessories.

I have not checked all of the links people have posted yet. Just because a US based reseller of Polaris parts lists it on their site it does not mean they can actually order it.. I will give it a shot though.. I called Partzilla and they said they could not order it.. If someone in Canada can get some and resell them to us that would be great.

Having the switch is 90% of the battle.. I can wire the rest myself.

EDIT.. Just called cycle parts nation (one of the links posted above) and they said they cannot order them..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Washington's new law is a joke! It only applies in very small counties and there are only a few of those in eastern Washington. The extra license fees are just another money grab by the liberal idiots in Olympia. I would not waste my money to make my quad legal for Washington.
Either way as I understand it in order to continue riding the green dots, all of the roads Okanogan county opened up, etc.. I will need to be legal. Not to mention of the counties open by default (Columbia, Ferry, Garfield, Lincoln, Pend Oreille, Skamania and Wahkiakum counties) Only two are not in Eastern Washington.. It also does not apply only to counties under 15k in population, those are just the only ones automatically open unless there is a ordinance against it. Other counties, citys, etc can open roads by ordinance like Okanogan has opened up around 1000 miles of county roads. Might want to check your facts before you post your rants..

1 - 20 of 55 Posts