Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I though maybe we could get all of the oil and filter info in one spot.

Engine oil: Mobil1 0-40,
Engine filter:
2 1/2
Purolator L14610, M1-108,Bosch 3300, SuperTech ST6607, pennzoil pz-37, napa 1358
3 1/4
Purolator L14610, M1-110, Bosch 3323,SuperTech ST7317
Rear diff: synthetic 75w90
Transmission:
Front diff: synthetic ATF

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was kinda thinking just for the xp's. I can just update my first post so people can find it easy.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Front diff I would only use Polaris Demand drive. Lots of issues with other fluids although there must be some that work.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Did me first 24 hour oil change the other week and I went with a Polaris oil filter. It was cold and I was in a hurry but looking back the replacement from Polaris looked about a quarter inch shorter. I still have the old filter and once it warms up I'll go to the barn and compare. Feel free to chim in....

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Front diff use mobil 1 synthetic atf. Rear diff use a synthetic 75w90 diff oil. Transmission i used 5w20 synthetic engine oil. And engine i used mobil 1 0-40.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Front diff use mobil 1 synthetic atf. Rear diff use a synthetic 75w90 diff oil. Transmission i used 5w20 synthetic engine oil. And engine i used mobil 1 0-40.
How are the front diff and tranny? Smooth?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I use 75w90 synthetic oil in rear end and polaris fluid in front diff and 5w30 mobile 1 synthetic oil in tranny and Mobil 1 0w40 in engine. PF 2135 oil filter. X93pgtx How is synthetic atf working in your front differential?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
526 Posts
Front diff I would only use Polaris Demand drive. Lots of issues with other fluids although there must be some that work.
OEM specs from the Demand Drive maker calls for UTF (Universal Tractor Fluid).

Castrol USA - Castrol UTF

This Castrol option is just one UTF that the maker specs for Demand Drive fluid to use. While expensive most are just fine to get a quart of the UTF Polaris has packaged for their dealerships because it takes so little. I would guess not more then 25% have ever been changed since new but if one is letting water, etc get into the UTF it should be changed often. As you can read UTF is designed to handle up to 1% water mixed into the UTF. We just use the Premium line of UTF from Tractor Supply Co locally. Any farm store will carry 2 or more grades of UTF but often not in a quart size like Polaris. We buy it in 5 gallon buckets. The backhoe takes 22 gallons and the lift on the truck takes 25 gallons and is the reason you do not see it in small containers like a quart.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
The atf works fine in the front diff.

I got the idea from txronnie. I think he has something like 10k on his 500 using synthetic atf in the front diff.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The atf works fine in the front diff.

I got the idea from txronnie. I think he has something like 10k on his 500 using synthetic atf in the front diff.
While friction modifiers may be a bit different ATF and UTF are basically the same from what I have researched on the subject. ATF fluid is one option in our 2002 Polaris shop manual the best I remember but I did post the page number once. It is easy to find in quart containers too. :)

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I used mobil 1 synthetic atf.

And I uised 5w20 synthetic engine oil. Both had no difference in "feel" than the Polaris stuff.

When I had my 400 I swore by the Polaris stuff. But one weekend I wanted to do an oil change on my 850 and the dealer was closed. Soooo I said screw it! Haven't had an issue yet!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Please tell us what issues people are having running something besides Polaris fluids. I have Synthetic ATF in both of mine and I have tons of miles without a single problem.

Ronnie

·
Registered
166 Posts
Did me first 24 hour oil change the other week and I went with a Polaris oil filter. It was cold and I was in a hurry but looking back the replacement from Polaris looked about a quarter inch shorter. I still have the old filter and once it warms up I'll go to the barn and compare. Feel free to chim in....

If you have an 850 or 550 the shorter the filter the better. A longer filter can be hit on a rock and dislodge. The engine in my 850 was trashed. $$$$$$$$

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

If you have an 850 or 550 the shorter the filter the better. A longer filter can be hit on a rock and dislodge. The engine in my 850 was trashed. $$$$$$$$
IMO length wasn't your problem, lack of protection was. Save yourself the worry and $$$ and purchase a Ricochet Skid Plate setup (atleast the main body panels) and you'll be fine! My attached pics are from my second ride after installing their Ultimate Armor setup. $400+ worth every penny; nailed a large rock in a trail at high speed cause ground clearance seemed just fine. Did not see the ruts/dips in the trail on each side it. Impact was right dead center where the filter sits and dug in as the suspension compressed til it left the oil filter cover and moved onto the main body panel. I've since lost that cover (had it duck taped on) when a buddy borrowed it to go huntin. New on installed and nailed something else in the pass 600+ miles cause its bent in to frame where the half moon tab is at; both it and the notch in the main body panel. BL: skid plates are great insurance!

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have the 500 HO the filter appears to be tucked up high enough to prevent damage from rock etc. Thanks for the info............Always better when you consider something from others that you may have looked over......

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Please tell us what issues people are having running something besides Polaris fluids. I have Synthetic ATF in both of mine and I have tons of miles without a single problem.

Ronnie
Have not had issues myself, but I have used Demand Drive. There are threads around where people have stated they had issues and went back to Demand drive and they went away but you don't know if that was due to type of fluid or condition of fluid.

As I stated there must be others that will work fine. I am not a Polaris apologist so use what you wish. Its the only Polaris fluid I use.

As to the filter, Polaris specs the same filter for all their machines now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Exactly what I use. Never had engine, transmission, or differential problems. Good

what I use. Never had engine, transmission, or differential problems. Good stuff

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Getting close to my first service, got puralator oil filter and going to get Mobil 1 for engine tranny and diffs. Thanks for posting oil filter numbers.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
old post i know but for a reason. How has the 5w20 held up in the transmission for you? Just rebuilt my transmission and put some that i had from an oil change in my car. Hope that I can leave it in there. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts