Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a 1996 Polaris 400 xplorer and need to know where exactly the oil pump is located and how to adjust it. I took my quad in to a dealer and they cleaned and adjusted the carbs as it would not run. I also told them to adjust the oil pump but now it will run for a couple of minutes and then fowl the plug. If you put a new plug in then it will run good again for a couple of minutes and then do the same thing? Any other ideals besides the oil pump being out of adjustment? Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
The oil pump cover is located up front and on the lower part of the engine. Remove the inspection plate and you should see it.You will also see two slots and these should be aligned up with each other, with the engine at idle. I do not believe ,you can turn it up enough to make it foul plugs as these pumps have low output.. You may have a spark-coil wire issue or carb. adjustment.
Check for vacuum leak,too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. Can you please explain what the coil/spark would be doing to cause it to foul and also the best way to test this. Also would you know where to get the carb setting. Thank you very much.

·
8,739 Posts
Let me get this straight. You took it to a dealer to be worked on and now your trying to fix what they messed up? I'd take it back to THEM to fix it right this time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took it to a dealer because it would hardly run and they cleaned the carbs and I had them adjust the oil pump and basically give it a once over. When I got it back it started fouling the plug and when I contacted the dealer they give me a song and dance about it being a older machine and they would have to do more to it etc. Needless to say I will not go back to them.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
An easy thing to do would be to check to make sure the carb. is installed all the way into the intake boot. The mixture screw on the carb. is 1 1/2 turns out.
You should do a compression check, just to see where you are at.
You can check the spark plug cap with an ohmmeter, i believe if they show more than 15000 ohms it's time for a replacement.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
This is out of an 03 manual, should be the same values as yours.

Disconnect and check the secondary coil. Resistance
values should be:
Primary Side - Primary Wire Tab to Ground
(on coil mount or engine): .3 to .5 Ohms
Secondary Side High Tension Wire to engine
ground- Cap installed - 11,300 Ohms
Cap removed - 6300 Ohms

·
Registered
181 Posts
Your problem sounds like worn rings and or a lack of compression.The plug is fouling because the rings do not produce enough compression to ignite the gas.Why in the world do you want to adjust an oil pump?How about adjusting the valves?
. May I suggest purchasing an owners manual along with a compression tester. Best of luck with this anomaly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts