Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is kind of a long story but wanted to get some thoughts.Especially from some of the dealership guys to see what I can do,if anything.I bought a new 550XP back in May 09.By September the ball joints were about to fall out of the steering knuckle(before the recall) so I took it to the dealer and they said it would be covered under warranty and they would call when its done.Well after 2 weeks no call so I called them and they said that they are still waiting for the parts from Polaris.2 weeks after that it was finally done.So it spent 1 month in the shop.I didn't get a chance to ride for a week or 2 after that and when I did,the ADC was making an aweful grinding noise and the first thing I thought was fluid.I checked it and it was full and didn't look too bad.I took it back to the dealership.2 weeks later of course they called and said its fixed.I got there and one of the jackass mechanics came over to me with a box of parts(roller cage,armature plate and a couple other things).I said "what in the hell did you change all of that for".He said it was all bad and the cage had a crack in it and it made the ADC make the noise.I knew better than that so I looked at the roller cage and there was nothing wrong with it at all.He bout crapped when I started naming the parts and he knew he was caught in a lie but I really didn't care what they done as long as it was fixed.He said "Oh I wasn't suppose to give you those parts" lol.Anyway,I got it home(1hr and 15 minutes drive btw) and unloaded.I put it in ADC and the ADC made the same grinding noise but I noticed the cv making a popping noise now.Well back I go to the idiots and by that time the recall for the steering knuckle had came out.I told them to fix the grinding noise,fix the cv and do the recall."OK no problem" they said we will call you when its done.3 weeks went by and no call so I called them and they said it is ready.I said did you fix the ADC noise and they said yes.I said did you fix the cv and the recall and they said no we didn't .So I said how in the hell is it ready then.They told me the recall parts would be in next week(this was back in November)and I could pick it up and bring it back next week.I said what is the point of driving over an hour to pick it up and then bring it back in 3 or 4 days.I said no just fix it when the parts come in.They said "OK we will call you when its ready".I'm starting to get a little upset by then because of their BS.Until today I have not heard from them.We were going to ride this weekend so I called the stupidship and asked whats going on with my quad.They said that they are still waiting on the recall parts from Polaris that they ordered back in Novemeber but the parts will be in today or tomorrow and I can pick it up this Thursday.Well its about dern time I thought.Thats not even the worst part of this lol.They called me back a little while ago and said they didn't fix the cv in the past 2 months or longer that its been sitting there and now they say it needs a whole axle and they would have to order it from Polaris.WTF WTF WTF.CAN YOU GUYS BELIEVE THIS CRAP!!! It has been almost 3 months now and its hard to tell how long it will be before I get my quad back.Have any of you ever heard of such BS? Sorry for the rant but I had to get that out there for someone else to hear LOL.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
coming from working at a dealership for over 2 years it sounds like the service manager is a crook there. how big of a shop is it? i worked at a small shop so our service manager was also our sales manager, parts manager, and owner. it sounds like polaris is coming thru on the warranty and recall work with parts for you. sometimes for warranty parts it does take two weeks because of the high demand for parts, but polaris is pretty good at getting parts to dealers within a week of ordering. their parts warehouse is in Vermillion, SD, so it farily centeral in the U.S.

it is quite a lengthy project to apply for parts and labor credit for any warranty work, but it is something that has to be done. my guess is the dealer sat on their ass and didnt get your warranty claim for parts right away.

im sorry you have had such a bad experience. my advice is try to find a new dealership to take your business to, and also get in touch with polaris and tell them about bad experience. the last thing they want is a crappy dealership turing people off to their machines. this is upsetting to me, because our small shop pride ourself on being a completely clean and honest dealership, and we are! but all the time we have new people coming in with their guard up high (i dont blame them) until they get to know us. squeeky wheel gets the grease as the saying goes, im sure polaris would love to hear about your experience!

sorry, best of luck though!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sounds like a dealership problem to me.I would be pissed ,you pay that kind of $$$$$ and the thing spends that amount of time at the delership .It sounds like if you have an hour drive that maybe this is the closet dealership,and relocating to a new one might be difficult .I would raise hell so they don,t forget who you are, and dealing with them next time might they may be a little more prompt.
My 2cents
Good Luck!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I am highly pissed Craezy and I say you are right blueline15 about them sitting on their ass and not doing what should have been done.The dealership is not a small one.Maybe thats the problem.They also sell Suzuki and Kawasaki atv's,utv's,dirt bikes and street bikes.I sent Polaris an email about it but I have dealt with Polaris over problems in the past years and from what I gather is they couldn't care less about problems after the factory warranty runs out and tell you to talk to the dealer.I hope they have changed their attitude towards their machines.I did take my quad to another dealer(smaller dealership 15 minutes from home) and they said to take it where I bought it to get it fixed.I dunno whats goin' on but I'm not getting dinner or a drink before I get screwed I know that lol.Maybe Polaris will give me a response to my email soon.Thanks for your reply

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
polaris got a new VP of public relations dude or something like that about 2 years ago and he said he was going to work on their "image" of caring after the sale. least that is what he said.

frustrating for sure, i feel your pain man!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm glad you mentioned that blueline.They needed something done.I talked to someone about the steering knuckle problem before the recall and they didn't seem to have the same shitty attitude they did 2 or 3 years ago.So maybe he is telling the truth.I hope

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
i hope they truely are working on their image as well. being american made just isnt enough anymore. and after the import companies like yamaha, kawi, and suzuki started stepping up their game and making a decent machine with great "after the sale" customer service, it started to really tank polaris's sales. i worked in a nice little bubble. all we sell is KTM and polaris. even our polaris regional rep. is a great guy and truely cares. but i know there are way too many bad shops out there.

anytime you want to double check recalls, existing warranty left, anything like that, just send me a PM with you vin and i can run it for you

·
Registered
56 Posts
An original Brp dealership starting selling Polaris in our area around a year ago.
I called to order some parts a couple of weeks and found out thar BRP came in and gave them a chioce either us or Polaris .Maybe polaris should follow suit but I don't think they have the same barganing chips as BRP.Once agian goodluck . I do all my own service so some times Iam down for a week or two but never 3 but if I had a waranty maybe I would think different.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will take you up on that blueline.Polaris needs to have a talk with some of their dealerships that do things like that.I've owned Honda's,Yamaha's and even had a Suzuki one time and most of those places are pretty much on top of things.I dont know what happened with these people.I agree to that Craezy.I usually do my own service on all my quads too but I decided to get an extended warranty on the XP for some unknown reason(lol) when I bought it,so I let them do it.An extended warranty can be good to have "IF" you have a good dealer/service dept.I think my dealer only has 2-3 techs and I think only 1 knows which way is up lol.I thought this dealer was Ok at first but now I know different.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
From what you wrote slider. This is only my opionin but I think the blame is with the dealership. I have been lucky and havent any problems with my 850 xp.All I have had are the recalls and my dealership had them done in 1 day. My guess is your just a number to this dealership. I would have had a come apart the first time my ride took that long to get fixed. I would have been screaming at polaris the second time it happened. Let polaris know whats happening with that dealership. and let us know also. Good luck and hope your bad experiance is at an end. From what I have read on the forum Im blessed with awsome service at my dealership.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Anyone know the number for Polaris.I had the number a couple months ago and cant find it now.I sent Polaris an email,so we will see if they answer.I absolutely agree chopper89.I think the problem is the stupid bitch that runs the service department.I dont think she knows where she shit at last.Pardon my french lol.They keep telling me that they are waiting for parts from Polaris.There is no way it takes Polaris 2 months to send parts to them.I dont think the owner knows whats going on but he will be enlightened when I call him tomorrow.I couldn't call today because like chopper89 said I just about came apart lol and it would have ended pretty bad I'm sure,so I'm trying to chill a little before I call.The owner wont be happy when he hangs up the phone,I can guarantee that.I will let you guys know what happens.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will definately be using the number.Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Incredible story, and I really feel your pain. I work in the auto dealership world as a former service manager, now as a dealer service dept relations agent for a major domestic auto maker. There is a huge spread in service department integrity in all vehicle lines and even more in the off-road/recreational vehicles. Lawyers, state licensing issues, and manufacturers customer relations all come to play in stories like this if you choose to ramp it up. The manufacturer's dealer support system is the key fireman in these situations. The dealer's service manager and dealer principal should have their ass kicked and nose broke for allowing this kind of sht to continue. Service department performance and PR is the heart and sole of every dealership, good or bad. There are only so many faithful paying customers in the world and shame on the dealership that think there's one born every minute. Good customers will find good dealers. My advice is to take your story to the manufacturer and don't play one dealer against another. That is the zone rep's job. Best of luck, I'm on your side.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I talked to Polaris customer service this morning and explained the problem.They actually called the dealer right then to find out the problem.The cust service lady gets back on the phone and tells me that the stupid bitch for a service manager told her that I never mentioned anything about a cv joint/axle problem until yesterday.I told them 2 times about it and yesterday was the 3rd,so I guess they are trying to cover their ass for a screw up apparently.Cust service said it shouldn't have taken that long for a recall kit either but she could do nothing about it or the dealer.She did say my atv will be done next week.Then the lady tells me that I should find another dealer.WELL NO SHIT LADY lol.I also called the owner of the dealership and he owns 2 dealerships btw but no answer naturally.I left a message so maybe he will call me back so I can ream his ass for all its worth.I will let you know if he calls me.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
good update. sadly, you probably will not get anything more then a "so sorry" but at least if enough complaints get built up against the dealer action might be taken. i hope their is another dealers within reasonable driving range that you can go to. let us know if he calls back

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well the owner himself actually called me a few minutes ago lol.He was apologizing the whole time and also told me that polaris had the recall kit on backorder and did not send it out until the other day.I said "that may be" but why in the hell was my axle not fixed while you were wating on the recall parts.Now I have to wait another week for that to be done when it should have been ordered and done long before now.He said he will have a talk with service.Yeah right now how can that do me any good.I think I should be offered (2 months of payments or free accessories) or at least something for waiting that long.Either from polaris or the dealer.Maybe thats just my opinion but if a car dealer would have your car that long they would at least give you a rental or something.I was gonna end this with that last sentence but I just got a call as I was typing it.It was the service manager apologizing now and also telling me that polaris did not get the recall parts to them because of the backorder.She said that polaris didn't have enough recall kits to fix all of them.She also told me something that just about sent me over the edge.She says polaris called her this morning and said my axle will not be shipped until 1/18 because of all the bad weather lately.I may end up talking to an attorney about this.I'M SICK OF ALL THIS BS WTF!!!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
dude, that really blows! you should be compensated for something. a few months ago at our shop, a guy brought in his RZR because he said it was jumping gears. i.e. it would be in reverse, and you could be backing up and the tranny would jump into N or drive without touching anything. well, sure as hell our mechanic confirmed this before he starting working on it by driving it around. 2 weeks later this guys RZR is almost completly torn down, still hadnt figured out what was wrong. he started getting anxious, and rightfully so, so we gave him a brand new 2009 sportsman X2 right off our showroom floor so he and his wife could go ride until his RZR was fixed. he also had some work he needed to be done around his farm, so he was able to haul is sprayer along behind him too. long story short, our mechanic figured it out, got the part replaced, and took about 75% off of his labor bill. out of all the hell he went through and time he waited, he was still a very happy customer when he finally took his RZR home....fixed

you are getting the short end here. if the owner were truely sorry he would offer you something like a $300 gift certificate or a free full service to get you back in the door to show you they can do better, if they really did care.

i would ask them "if they are planning on giving you anything for all this hassle, to get you back in the door, cause as of right now im not planning on being back unless you can prove you can do better then this."

these machines are not cheap, basically the price of a car!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
NO DOUBT blueline.I will definately say I need something or I might just tell them they can keep it,as bad as I hate to do that.Cause I aint going through this nonsense again.Shit like this is one of the reasons so many people have a problem with polaris and "some" but not all of their dealers.I think both polaris and the dealer should come to the table with some type of offer for this problem.Most of the guys I ride with were kinda pissed at me for getting another polaris to start with and they are really giving me hell now lol.I tell them "who breaks down the most and has the most problems?" not me, so shut up lol.I have 2 other polaris quads and they have been pretty good ones.But these guys and several other people across the country have heard about polaris and some of their ways and problems in the past and wouldn't have a polaris if you gave it to them.And a lot of the bad stories are because of a few bad dealers and word spreading around.I think polaris needs to weed out the shady dealers and/or compensate the people that are having problems with these dealers.I'll figure something out before long.Thanks for the replies.I will let you know what goes on in the next week or two.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
i agree with you slider. this is the crap that drive me crazy. i truely believe that polaris in the last 5 years has been making some of the best performing atvs on the market. i have ridden at least on atv from all the major manufactures, on the same day, on the same trail to do a side by side comparison for myself, and no doubt the sportsman line up was the best overall in my eyes. but i dont get why they shit on the little guys. they cut corners bad a while back, made some bad choices who to buy electronic parts from, ect. they are better but could still improve. but they suck at micromanaging, going after the crappy dealers and shutting them down. polaris has still been making a pretty shiny penny even during these tough times, so i think all they are conerned with is macromanaging everything. but if they dont start weeding out the dealers that provide terriable service and imporving their overall image, im afraid to say it might be curtains for them in 5 or 10 more years

1 - 20 of 34 Posts