Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some help-?

My daughters 2010 Polaris Outlaw 50cc Quad seems to not want to Run but Idles fine!

The quad has been used a total of 5 times in its entire life and just cut out last time out (4th time)
After going through a puddle. It will start fine but when you press the throttle it cuts out straight away.
Now I don't know whether something is breaking down when the quad is warm or not but if you give it 5/10 minutes it starts and runs again for a short while.

Do you know of this problem, is it common?

If need be I can send a video of when it next happens.

All help much appreciated.
I've done the following-
1. Changed spark plug
2. Checked and adjusted valve clearances and at set to 0.06
(should I recheck? Found it a nightmare finding compression stroke)
3. Pulled the safety switch apart cleaned and checked it
(however when engine was running I revved the bike with safety switch depressed and it still revved up. Should this happen?)

I have been out again with my daughter this morning and run great for 30-40 minutes!
She stopped the quad near us to ask something and it cut out again.
It started 1st time and idles fine but as soon as you depress the throttle it cut out. (Would start again fine but same thing for about 10 times cutting out)

We managed to get it going for about 50 metres but had to use Choke set halfway to run and then stopped and now all it's doing is spinning over and won't start.

Checked the spark out of engine against cyclinder and great spark, so what's next???

1. carb strip down?
2. Something breaking down electrically when warm but I'm getting a good spark?
3. CDI?

Oh it's got to be something simple. PLEASE HELP! Haha

Thanks
carla.x

Ps. I've left it half hour now to cool down and got it to kickstart with choke then idle with choke off and it's revving fine again so head is baffled. :-(

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
You say this started after she hit a puddle?put some Dielectric grease in the spark plug boot and all connections you can take apart, clean them withelectrical cleaner , then grease them and put them back together, something got wet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Originally thought it happened due to being wet but took it out today and same thing happened in dry conditions.
Seems to happen after 30-40 minutes when engine is warm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m having an issue with two brand new 2018 Polaris Outlaw 50’s. One ran great since purchase (3/27/18) while the other acted up from day one. It would immediately fire up with a single press of the start button, run for about 30ish minutes then shut off. A little toying with the choke/throttle and it would fire up but only run about 10-15 minutes before shutting off again. Then the toying with choke/throttle would take longer to get it started only to have it run a few minutes less each time before cutting out and not restarting at all. It would just turn over but never start/fire up. I let it sit overnight, it fires right up the next day only to have the whole process start again. Day after day. After 3 months I brought the one cutting out to the dealer, explained the situation and left it with them. A few days later I went to pick it up. They say that nothing is wrong with it but that they cleaned the carb and charged the battery. I brought it home, ran it the next day and it started happening again after 30ish minutes. Low and behold, the second one that never had an issue also started cutting out that same day. They both start up the next morning, run about 20/30ish minutes then cut out. Get them restarted, they run about 10 minutes and cut out. Then, no more starting. They just turn and turn but never catch/fire. Can anyone offer any help?

·
Registered
10,757 Posts
Check the vent on the fuel tank and the carb float bowl - make sure they are open, not clogged or pinched

1 - 6 of 6 Posts