Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We Recently purchased our daughter a 2016 Polaris Outlaw 110. The ATV is in relatively Good shape. Last weekend I noticed the starter made a terrible cracking sound when she was starting up to go riding. I pulled the belt cover off and saw several teeth missing on the gear that meshes with the starter Bendix. The gear in question Meshes with the fly wheel/idle gear. I pulled everything apart and replaced that gear, and left the starter as is. We started it up and “crack” the same thing happened. Once the starter gets hung in the area with sheared off teeth, I’m guessing it burns up because it won’t turn the Bendix anymore. I Had a starter that I purchased from eBay, like a $30 unit. I put that starter on and tried again and, of course, more teeth sheared off the new gear and the same thing happened with the starter. I’m at loss at to what can be causing this. Please see the pics below of the two starter bendix and one of the gears I replaced. Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
It looks like the gear being damaged the worst is the side of the reduction gear that meshes with Starter drive gear (see # 8 on the drawing) - I suggest you replace #8, #2, #1 and the starter motor. It might need other parts, but I would have to see and inspect them all to make the determination.

Here's a link to where the image is located http://parts.polarisind.com/Assemblies.asp

Scroll down to "Engine, Starter" and click

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like the gear being damages the worst is the side of the reduction gear that meshes with Starter drive gear (see # 8 on the drawing) - I suggest you replace #8, #2, #1 and the starter motor. It might need other parts, but I would have to see and inspect them all to make the determination.

Can you post the image again? It’s being blocked by the site.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We Recently purchased our daughter a 2016 Polaris Outlaw 110. The ATV is in relatively Good shape. Last weekend I noticed the starter made a terrible cracking sound when she was starting up to go riding. I pulled the belt cover off and saw several teeth missing on the gear that meshes with the starter Bendix. The gear in question Meshes with the fly wheel/idle gear. I pulled everything apart and replaced that gear, and left the starter as is. We started it up and “crack” the same thing happened. Once the starter gets hung in the area with sheared off teeth, I’m guessing it burns up because it won’t turn the Bendix anymore. I Had a starter that I purchased from eBay, like a $30 unit. I put that starter on and tried again and, of course, more teeth sheared off the new gear and the same thing happened with the starter. I’m at loss at to what can be causing this. Please see the pics below of the two starter bendix and one of the gears I replaced. Any help would be appreciated!
I am having the same issues as well I bought this brand new in 2016 and I've been through 10 gears and three starters they want $100 an hour to try to fix it have you, found the cause?? This thing only has 40 hours on it it's been broke down more than my son's even Rode it.. he's about outgrown it

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
I am having the same issues as well I bought this brand new in 2016 and I've been through 10 gears and three starters they want $100 an hour to try to fix it have you, found the cause?? This thing only has 40 hours on it it's been broke down more than my son's even Rode it.. he's about outgrown it

Inspect the idler gear shaft bushings - I suspect the bushings (one or both) is worn and the gear is either not engaging fully or is engaged at an angle. I have seen these where someone tries to 'observe' the operation of the starter and the force caused the idler gear shaft to deflect ruining the bushing in the engine case and have also seen engine cases damaged from the same bonehead decision.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts