Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello friends. When I accelerate on my son’s Polaris Phoenix 200 quad it makes this grinding noise and loses acceleration. Sounds like stripped splines. I disassembled the primary and secondary clutches...all looked good. I even added a new belt. Drained the tranny and no metal debris in it. Any ideas? Trying to get it fixed in time for New Years. Thx in advance.

Here’s a YouTube link to demonstrate. https://youtu.be/ghhOColTKu4

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spent some time with a friend with some experience with ATV repair, but still new to the Phoenix and it's automatic clutches. The noise is definitely coming from the driven (secondary) clutch. There are (8) small bearing that seem to move in and out as the clutch is under load. We suspect those bearing have warn out the race they rotate in (a large washer with a channel for the ball bearings). As a quick test, we cut a thin piece of cardboard and put it in there. The bike still slipped under load, but not nearly as much and the 'grinding' noise was greatly reduced. Anyone else have experience with this part wearing out and making the noise like I posted in the video above? I would greatly appreciate any input. Trying to get some parts on order so my son can enjoy some time riding at the dunes over the weekend.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue but never fixed it. Now I’m trying to find the fix. I researched this awhile ago and there was a service bulletin from Polaris on this. I can’t find it online now but maybe the dealer can get it for you. It had something to do with shimming the clutch. If I find it I’ll get back to you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I help with a Boy Scout Camp and we have heard the grinding sound a couple of time. We have 2019 Phoenix 200 and are basically brand new (zero miles). Has anybody figured out what is going on?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts